Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Switching phone companies

I have an iPhone 11, brought outright in February from boost Mobile, I am now wanting to switch companies but they won’t give me the unlock code cause I haven’t had my phone for 12 months, is there a way apple can get around this without me having to buy a new phone ?

iPhone 11

Posted on Aug 14, 2020 12:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2020 12:52 PM

If it was bought outright, what makes you think its locked? It may not be. Though it can be locked.

Generally phones bought outright may not be locked according to FCC regulation. Phones acquired under a service plan for a set amount of time, or under subsidy or discount are the ones that are locked for the duration of the service plan, subsidy or discount terms.

Apple cannot unilaterally unlock an iPhone that is locked to a carrier. Only the carrier it is locked to can do so.

If you don't meet Boost's unlocking requirements, then there's not much to do except wait until you complete the 12 months of active service with them.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 14, 2020 12:52 PM in response to Mhastings1818

If it was bought outright, what makes you think its locked? It may not be. Though it can be locked.

Generally phones bought outright may not be locked according to FCC regulation. Phones acquired under a service plan for a set amount of time, or under subsidy or discount are the ones that are locked for the duration of the service plan, subsidy or discount terms.

Apple cannot unilaterally unlock an iPhone that is locked to a carrier. Only the carrier it is locked to can do so.

If you don't meet Boost's unlocking requirements, then there's not much to do except wait until you complete the 12 months of active service with them.

Switching phone companies

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.