Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS crashes during sleep

For a while now, my Mac Mini (running OS 10.14.6) crashes and restarts every time I attempt to put it to sleep.

Is this a known issue?

Any suggestions for troubleshooting or how to fix this?

Posted on Aug 14, 2020 3:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2020 1:09 AM

This is a known issue since Mojave's Security Update 2020-002 which updated the firmware last March. There have been seven Mojave and/or Catalina firmware updates after that but the problem persists with Mojave:

A crash after putting the Mac mini 2018 to sleep or a crash report after a cold boot. In my setup using Safari in the previous session 100% triggers the crash so I have used Chrome which workflow prevents 99% of crashes.

Resetting SMC, PRAM or even a clean Mojave install does not help because the error seems to be in the firmware.

Apple knows about the issue but for some strange reason has not fixed it. In light use Catalina does not seem to have this error in my setup but I am not ready to abandon my 32-bit apps yet. One report claims that the Big Sur beta firmware might fix this but I am not holding my breath and don't want to test beta software in my main Mac.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251226783

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 15, 2020 1:09 AM in response to Colin Shapiro

This is a known issue since Mojave's Security Update 2020-002 which updated the firmware last March. There have been seven Mojave and/or Catalina firmware updates after that but the problem persists with Mojave:

A crash after putting the Mac mini 2018 to sleep or a crash report after a cold boot. In my setup using Safari in the previous session 100% triggers the crash so I have used Chrome which workflow prevents 99% of crashes.

Resetting SMC, PRAM or even a clean Mojave install does not help because the error seems to be in the firmware.

Apple knows about the issue but for some strange reason has not fixed it. In light use Catalina does not seem to have this error in my setup but I am not ready to abandon my 32-bit apps yet. One report claims that the Big Sur beta firmware might fix this but I am not holding my breath and don't want to test beta software in my main Mac.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251226783

MacOS crashes during sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.