Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dolby Vision not working - From apple tv to philips hue sync to LG TV UH7700

My TV will recognize dolby vision if apple TV is connected directly to it, but when I connect it to a hue sync box that is connected to my LG TV the do;by vision shows as active on the apple tv, but my LG TV doesn't show as active...

HDR is being recognized though... Has anyone have the same issue?

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 13

Posted on Aug 14, 2020 4:42 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2020 7:50 PM

I've tried to use Dolby Vision 30hz, 24hz and 25hz and they won't work when the "Dolby Enhanced Compability" feature on Hue Sync App is active. When I deactivate it, my tv starts recognizing Dolby again but the lights stop syncing with the hue device.

I've tried to contact Apple Support with no sucess, also Dolby Vision doesn't have a customer support for this.

I am surprised that no one noticed this issue...

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 25, 2020 7:50 PM in response to jdo_apple

I've tried to use Dolby Vision 30hz, 24hz and 25hz and they won't work when the "Dolby Enhanced Compability" feature on Hue Sync App is active. When I deactivate it, my tv starts recognizing Dolby again but the lights stop syncing with the hue device.

I've tried to contact Apple Support with no sucess, also Dolby Vision doesn't have a customer support for this.

I am surprised that no one noticed this issue...

Aug 20, 2020 9:53 PM in response to i_rina

Hi here is an extremely detailed explanation of what is going on:

Hi Thanks for responding... Yes I tried to update the hue sync box, I've used two different cables:

Rocketfish™ - 1.5' 4K UltraHD/HDR In-Wall Rated HDMI Cable

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/rocketfish-1-5-4k-ultrahd-hdr-in-wall-rated-hdmi-cable-black/2059068.p?skuId=2059068

Belkin UltraHD High Speed 4K HDMI Cable (This one is even Dolby vision compatible - it says in the box)

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/HLL52ZM/A/belkin-ultrahd-high-speed-4k-hdmi-cable-2m?fnode=d7d175e7afc411c7a0bea76ae78a0dbdc97c9a683570658022046b4213d190dec5c598964ed48a250e5b84a1438fe741f47e3d4f5f40eb02a6c3a6509ffadf2c53ec23a59571111d5b54e664fa731a648fcaa98b3c56133bc14d2645f6881e84

I've also tried to reset my apple tv, reset my Hue Sync Box, change internet set up, update my TV firmware and no success.

Let me give you the three possible scenarios that I can test:

1- The issue is that apple TV recognizes dolby vision only when the option on the Hue Sync app under advanced settings "Dolby Vision Enhanced Compatibility" is off. But the moment that it turns the settings to Dolby Vision, the Hue Lights Sync stops syncing. The lights will only work when the content is 4k HD or HDR. These are the main things under this set up:

*Dolby Vision Enhanced Compability turned on (Hue Box)? No

* Image on the television? Yes, it correctly recognizes HDR and Dolby Vision

* Lights syncing? Not when Dolby Vision is showing on TV or selected as default option on Apple TV

*Dolby Vision works when 4k HDR is on with match content or at any Dolby Vision format? Yes but lights won't sync

*Connected to port 2 or 4 on phillips Hue? Yes (also tried different ports as well)

*Cables used: Both RocketFish and Belkin listed above. From both Apple TV to Hue Sync and Hue Sync to TV

*Dolby Vision Formats available on Apple TV Video Format settings: 1080p (all frequencies), Dolby Vision 4k (30hz, 25hz, 24hz)

2- Connecting directly to TV without using Hue Sync Box. Everything that happens on scenario 1 happens here. Obviously the lights won't sync because the hue sync is not connected.

3- When I turn on the option on the Hue Sync app under advanced settings "Dolby Vision Enhanced Compatibility", the lights go back into syncing with the image but the TV doesn't recognize Dolby Vision anymore.

*Dolby Vision Enhanced Compability turned on (Hue Box)? Yes

*Image on the television? Yes, but it only recognizes when it is HDR. When it is dolby vision the TV shows the image either in HDR or HD (not Dolby Vision)

* Lights syncing? Yes

Dolby Vision works when 4k HDR is on with match content or at any Dolby Vision format? No, but lights will sync

*Connected to port 2 or 4 on phillips Hue? Yes (also tried different ports as well)

*Cables used: Both RocketFish and Belkin listed above. From both Apple TV to Hue Sync and Hue Sync to TV  

*Dolby Vision Formats available on Apple TV Video Format settings: 1080p (all frequencies), Dolby Vision 4k (30hz, 25hz, 24hz) Apple TV ALSO IDENTIFIES FREQUENCIES FOR DOLBY VISION ABOVE 30HZ, that my Tv doesn't support (40hz, 50hz, 60hz)

Bottom line of option 3 - I believe that there is a misconnection between the hue sync box and apple tv when the dolby vision enhanced capability is on. It gives the info to apple tv, which is saying that my tv is capable even with dolby vision on 50hz, 60hz. Any selection of variables on option 3 doesn't make my TV recognize Dolby Vision, however I can force it to be HDR which works on scenarios 1 and 2 (it recognizes HDR and the lights sync).

I've talked to Philips with no success and with LG (who told me that the issue is not with the TV). There seems to be an issue of integration with apple TV or a problem on device.

Hope this is clearer.

Funny thing is that on option 3 apple TV is giving the options (that don't work obviously) for Dolby Vision 40,50 and 60hz

Aug 21, 2020 3:10 PM in response to ShYnNoK

Hi ShYnNoK,

Could it be that the Dolby Vision frequencies need to be >30Hz, which are not supported by your LG TV?

Due to the complexity of the issue and amount of third party variables in the equation, we would recommend you Contact Apple Support.

Judging from the scenarios listed, it appears it may also be worth contacting Dolby Support, as Dolby Vision appears to be triggering an issue with the Philips Hue Sync Box.

Thanks again.

Aug 16, 2020 11:27 AM in response to ShYnNoK

Hi ShYnNoK,

We understand you are experiencing an issue using Philips Hue TV sync box with Apple TV and Dolby Vision.

Can we ask, have you tried any other configurations? Ie. Connecting to different inputs on the Philips Hue TV sync box, testing with different HDMI cables.

If possible, we would also recommend updating the Philips Hue TV sync box.

Additionally, it may be worth contacting Philips Hue Support.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Cheers!

Aug 25, 2020 11:19 PM in response to ShYnNoK

Had the same problem with my Appletv 4K and phillips hdmi sync box. Dolby vision won’t work correctly on my 2016 LG Oled C6. Turn off Dolby vision when using sync box works. Other work around is dump appletv and go nvidia shield tv it doesn’t sync proper colors with Dolby vision but it puts up some color but it overall works smoother with sync box and you can turn Dolby vision on and off easily

Sep 26, 2020 8:22 AM in response to ShYnNoK

I have the same problem if I use apple TV straight to the TV. I get Dolby vision working but if I connect my TV to my processor lexicon MC 10 it shows that they accept Dolby vision and it shows the programs that are in Dolby vision but plays only in HDR . I have no problems with any other device . My Nvidia shield pro works brilliantly .

Dolby Vision not working - From apple tv to philips hue sync to LG TV UH7700

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.