Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is the itl file not in my itunes backup

This is how my itunes back up looks on external hard drive but I can't find the itl file anywhere, does anyone know where it should be and why it maybe hasn't transferred over?

Posted on Aug 15, 2020 3:38 AM

7 replies

Aug 15, 2020 5:28 AM in response to gmrfrye78

At a guess you have a split library where your library files are on the system drive, and the media on an external. You will only have a backup if you're copying the entire library, database and media files, to a secondary location. See Backup your iTunes for Windows library with SyncToy - Apple Community and Make a split library portable - Apple Community for more.

tt2

Aug 15, 2020 5:40 AM in response to turingtest2

Thank you for your answer but all my itunes files are on the same drive D (the current hard drive I am using in my PC) and I followed all the instructions "Back up and restore your iTunes library on your PC" by consolidating files and copying the whole iTunes Media folder from its destination, I don't think I have a split library? Do you know what else it could be?

Aug 15, 2020 6:50 AM in response to gmrfrye78

Apple's backup advice suggests consolidating your library into an iTunes Media folder that is assumed to be inside your main iTunes library folder, and then copying the iTunes folder to another drive for backup. If you copy the iTunes Media folder then you're not capturing the library files which are either in the iTunes folder that contains iTunes Media, or perhaps some other location depending on how you've moved things around in the past.

tt2

Aug 15, 2020 7:09 AM in response to turingtest2

Thank you tt2, yes that makes sense, I didn't realise the library files were situated outside the itunes media folder in the main itunes folder itself so I need to copy the whole thing in the future.

Unfortunately it doesn't help me this time when I am trying to restore my playlists after an itunes crash as I have no back up itl.

As I mention on my other question I have a back up xml file which I think should also be able to restore playlists but itunes won't seem to accept it and keeps shutting down part way through importing. I was able to fully read the xml after I found your own very clever script "Transform XML" from 2015 in past threads here so I can see it is complete, correct and all music files listed are still in the same destinations as listed there.

I would be very grateful if you have any ideas or advice on this problem?

Aug 15, 2020 8:02 AM in response to gmrfrye78

It is covered in the article, but make a copy, rename it as iTunes Library.itl, and then launch iTunes to see if it is acceptable. Work with the most recent .tmp file that is comparable in size to those in the Previous iTunes Libraries folder. Any .tmp file you see could potentially be the .itl, .itdb, or .xml files in the process of being updated.

tt2

Why is the itl file not in my itunes backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.