Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro charging too slow or not charging at all

I have MacBook Pro 2017 13 inch. A couple of days ago, suddenly, it started to not charging. I reset the SMC and nothing. I brought it to the Apple store. They tried with another charger and showed the same “not charging” message. Then they reset the NVRAM, and it seemed to work (after some seconds with the “not charging” message).

But later at home I tried and it did the same: The not charging message. I’ve being doing tests and I’ve seen that it charges only if not connected to an external monitor or not with heavy tasks. Then I saw a post like this in this forum and realized that on the system information of my MacBook also showed only 12W of charge power. In coconut battery, it recognizes the charger as 12W but only provides 1W.

I haven’t seen any reliable answer in this forum about this problem, though there are 30 people that marked the problem with a “me too”. I don’t have another charger to make the test.

So my question is: could it be a charger issue, a battery issue or a board issue? In the Apple store told me that by now the repairing time is 15-20 days (!) because of the COVID situation. So if I’d know it’s a charger thing, I’d buy another one and that’s it. Does anyone knows anything about this problem? Is it a flaw in the MacBook Pro 2017?

Posted on Aug 15, 2020 6:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2020 1:39 PM

I think the issue is solved. This is what happened, in case anyone can find it helpful.

The technician made different tests in the Genius Bar of an Apple Store: with my charger and my cable, with my charger and another cable, with another charger and my cable, and with another charger and another cable. Also she tried the same combination in another MacBook. Her conclusion: the charger was damaged and nor my Macbook nor the other one detected it as an Apple 61W (not always at least).

I replace it through technical support and with the new one the computer is charging correctly.

Hope it helps.

And thanks to the Genius. She was really thorough during all the process.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 16, 2020 1:39 PM in response to TrithemiusD

I think the issue is solved. This is what happened, in case anyone can find it helpful.

The technician made different tests in the Genius Bar of an Apple Store: with my charger and my cable, with my charger and another cable, with another charger and my cable, and with another charger and another cable. Also she tried the same combination in another MacBook. Her conclusion: the charger was damaged and nor my Macbook nor the other one detected it as an Apple 61W (not always at least).

I replace it through technical support and with the new one the computer is charging correctly.

Hope it helps.

And thanks to the Genius. She was really thorough during all the process.

Aug 15, 2020 6:43 PM in response to TrithemiusD

There is no way to know without trying it (as is the USB-C charging cable). Trying another charger is one of the basic troubleshooting steps:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204652

Also see if your laptop qualifies for this free Apple battery repair program:

https://support.apple.com/13inch-macbookpro-battery-replacement

Try unplugging the charger from the electrical outlet for a minute to reset the charger's internal circuitry and try using another electrical outlet (preferably on another circuit). Try using another USB-C port (preferably on the other side of the laptop if you have the touchbar model).

Aug 16, 2020 5:50 AM in response to HWTech

Unfortunately I have no way to test another charger or cable. Also my MacBook doesn’t qualify por the battery replacement program.

But today I’ve noticed something that could give a clue. My system not only takes 12w or 1W from the charger, but also DOESN’T RECOGNIZE IT. In the system information it appears as an anonymous 12w charger. Also, when I connected it today after being turned off all night, the system information DID RECOGNIZED it as a 62w Apple charger with all the specifications, and it takes the whole charge from it. Right now the battery is correctly charging.

So I wonder again if that’s a problem with the charger, or the board not recognizing the charger, or the battery not recognizing it also.

Here are captures with the charger not being recognized (I’m sorry it’s in Spanish, but you can see the 12w in the marked row “Potencia eléctrica (W): 12”. In the coconut battery capture you can see it in English)

MacBook Pro charging too slow or not charging at all

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.