Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro not Turning on

MacBook Pro is not turning on. It has been 5 months I didn't use it as I was away. When I got it back, I charged for 5 hours, long press of power button shows screen with battery symbol. I tried multiple times. Please let me know how can it be fixed.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 15, 2020 10:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2020 12:30 PM

If the battery has become completely discharged for any length of time, then it can be difficult or impossible to charge the battery and the battery could be permanently damaged. When this happens it can prevent the laptop from powering on because power is actually pulled from the battery even when using the charger.

Try an SMC reset.

Let the laptop charge for a full day to see if the battery can actually begin charging again.

If you have a Touchbar model, then try connecting the charger to the other side of the laptop.

Here are Apple articles for troubleshooting charging issues:

USB-C charging troubleshooting

Magsafe charging troubleshooting

FYI, when storing a laptop you need to make sure the battery is charged to about 50%, then power the laptop completely off (full shutdown) to minimize the draining of the battery. See this Apple article for details:

https://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/

If these things don't help, then you will need to have Apple or an AASP repair your laptop (make sure to take along your charger and charging cables).

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 16, 2020 12:30 PM in response to jasmitha_m

If the battery has become completely discharged for any length of time, then it can be difficult or impossible to charge the battery and the battery could be permanently damaged. When this happens it can prevent the laptop from powering on because power is actually pulled from the battery even when using the charger.

Try an SMC reset.

Let the laptop charge for a full day to see if the battery can actually begin charging again.

If you have a Touchbar model, then try connecting the charger to the other side of the laptop.

Here are Apple articles for troubleshooting charging issues:

USB-C charging troubleshooting

Magsafe charging troubleshooting

FYI, when storing a laptop you need to make sure the battery is charged to about 50%, then power the laptop completely off (full shutdown) to minimize the draining of the battery. See this Apple article for details:

https://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/

If these things don't help, then you will need to have Apple or an AASP repair your laptop (make sure to take along your charger and charging cables).

MacBook Pro not Turning on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.