You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Speaker Crackling/Popping After Update 13.6.1

Since I updated my 11" iPad Pro to 13.6.1 my audio has been crackling and popping. Has anyone else experienced this?

Nothing has happened to my iPad that might have caused it. No drops and no liquid damage, so I can only think that it was the update just like the problems with AirPod Pro's.

The popping is sporadic and doesn't seem to be triggered by specific frequencies. It happens both when the volume is low and loud at what seems like random moments rather than during high pitch, bass etc...

iPad Pro, iPadOS 13

Posted on Aug 16, 2020 6:42 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2020 6:58 AM

I've had no issues with this on two iPad Pro 11. I would recommend a Forced Restart, which is something which is recommended after every iOS update.

Try this:

• Tap and quickly release volume up button
  • Then tap and quickly release volume down button
  • Then press and keep holding the power button (keep holding past swipe to power off) until you see the Apple Logo and then let go
5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 16, 2020 6:58 AM in response to sperre1

I've had no issues with this on two iPad Pro 11. I would recommend a Forced Restart, which is something which is recommended after every iOS update.

Try this:

• Tap and quickly release volume up button
  • Then tap and quickly release volume down button
  • Then press and keep holding the power button (keep holding past swipe to power off) until you see the Apple Logo and then let go

Aug 16, 2020 12:48 PM in response to lobsterghost1

I didn't know tapping the volume buttons is part of restarting an iPad, so thank you for that. It hasn't fixed the popping though. I guess I'll wait to see if IOS14 fixes it because a firmware update fixed the crackling on AirPod Pro's but it didn't fix it for everyone.

If anyone has had an issue with crackling speakers I would love if you could comment why and how you fixed it.

Aug 25, 2020 3:58 AM in response to sperre1

UPDATE***

Apple sent a replacement iPad. Please read on, it may help you.

My iPad was out of warranty but I contacted Apple support anyway to see what my options were. The customer service person said I would need to drive two hours to the closest Apple store or send it but I would need to pay for postage and then pay for the repair. Once she checked my iPad's serial number she said that my iPad actually qualified for a free return. Clearly my serial number was within a range of known faulty units, though she didn't say this to me.

Speaker Crackling/Popping After Update 13.6.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.