Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS mail taking too much storage space/can’t delete data

My MacBook Air has run out of storage space. I have deleted numerous files, apps, pictures, music, etc. etc. One big culprit of my storage issue is the MacOS mail app. It’s taking up 13 gigs but seemingly for no reason as I have attempted to delete all data from the app (apparently without success). I used it in the past but no longer have any use for it and just want it (and the data that’s stored somewhere) gone. I have deleted the accounts that were linked to it. I also deleted the “internet accounts” in settings in hopes that would remove the data but no luck... the app is still hogging 13 gigs. The OS won’t let me delete the app in its entirely because it’s “required by the operating system”.

why is it so hard to clear up this much needed space on my hard drive?

MacBook Air 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Aug 16, 2020 7:19 AM

Similar questions

1 reply

Aug 17, 2020 10:32 AM in response to MikeQuinn26

Hi MikeQuinn26,

Thanks for your post! We understand that the Mail app and its content is using up more space than expected. If you haven't already, follow the steps listed in the articles below to optimize your macOS storage.

How to free up storage space on your Mac

Free up storage space for email accounts in Mail on Mac

Let us know what you find out!

Take care!

MacOS mail taking too much storage space/can’t delete data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.