Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

moving a photo into album on mac

On Mac, Catalina, when I want to put a photo into an album, it puts it there but it keeps it in my entire photo library, too. I then have the photo twice, right? When I move it, I do so to organize my library, not to have it in both places at once. What’s going on & how do I fix this? I don’t recall it being like this before.

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Aug 16, 2020 8:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2020 8:48 AM

That is normal and it has been that way for as long as I can remember. In terms of storage, it doesn't take extra; it's one photo that is displayed in two different places (or more if you have a photo in more than one album).

4 replies

Aug 16, 2020 9:00 AM in response to hvsasu8kdl

I then have the photo twice, right?

Wrong. Photos handles photos like iTunes handled audio tracks. Look at albums as you would playlists in iTunes. You can have a photo in multiple albums, projects, etc. with only one copy of the image file on the hard drive and in the library. All of the other occurrences of the photo are pointers pointing back to the original file.

moving a photo into album on mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.