Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Rearranging photos in Apple photos Library

I added an import photo to my Apple photos library. I want to rearrange the library so the new photo is in a different place in library. How do I do that? Dragging doesn't work. Using Big Sur operating system.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.7

Posted on Aug 5, 2023 8:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2024 5:58 PM

when I put 3 photos in my library they go to the recent order location. now I add two more photos and they go next to the other photos as recent. I would like to drag and drop them next to other photos like them in my library.

8 replies

Aug 5, 2023 11:56 PM in response to MBLap39

You wrote: "I want to rearrange the library so the new photo is in a different place in library."

There is no way to remove photos from the predefined albums in the library section of Photos. All predefined albums created by Photos automatically are always based on all photos in the library. There is no way to remove photos from Imports or Recents, unless you delete them from the album, but that will remove them everywhere.

Take the predefined albums as a basic foundation and built your own library structure on top of it with your own albums. With your own albums you are free to move the photos around between albums.

To see all photos not yet in any album in one place, you could create a smart album: - call it "my recents"

• File > New smart album
  • Set the rule to "Album > is not > Any"
  • You could add a further rule "Date added > is after > ..." to focus on the most recents photos, and combine the rules with "Match Alll".

Feb 29, 2024 6:35 AM in response to marv176

marv176 said: I would like to drag and drop them next to other photos like them in my library.

If you create your own new Album, then you can put in the pictures you want to see together, and you can arrange them as you like. In fact, since albums don't actually contain pictures-- they're just lists of the pictures you like to see together-- you can put pictures in multiple albums without taking up any more space.So you can have the picture of "Aunt Eunice at the Grand Canyon" in the "Aunt Eunice" albums with other Aunt Eunice pictures, and you can put the picture in the "Grand Canyon" album with pictures of others at the Grand Canyon, and the same picture is just listed in two places.

The Recents view shows all of your pictures in the order they were added to your Library. That's why it's called Recents. It means that, no matter happens, if you have trouble with Photos, then people helping you can (or you yourself) can check to see if pictures are being loaded properly and didn't go to some unexpected place. The Library view shows all of your pictures in the order of their recorded capture date, and that can't be changed for the same reason.

So to do what you want, just make albums for the pictures that should be seen together, and don't worry about it taking extra room.

I hope this helps...

Aug 5, 2023 9:29 PM in response to MBLap39

1. Create a New Album:
    • Open the Photos app on your Mac.
    • Select the new photo that you want to place in a different location.
    • Go to the "File" menu and select "New Album."
  1. Add Photos to the Album:
    • Give the album a name and choose where you want to store it (i.e., in the Albums section or in a folder).
    • Click "OK" to create the album.
    • Drag and drop the new photo (or multiple photos) from your main library into the newly created album.
  1. Rearrange Photos Within the Album:
    • Once your photos are in the album, you can rearrange them within the album.
    • Click on the album in the sidebar to view its contents.
    • Click and hold a photo, then drag it to a new position within the album.

Keep in mind that albums are separate from the main library and won't affect the chronological order or organization of your main photo library. They are more like organizational tools that allow you to group and arrange photos as you desire.

If you're looking for more advanced organization and rearrangement options, you might consider using third-party photo management software that provides more control over the arrangement of photos within the library. However, for basic organization within the Photos app itself, creating albums is the recommended approach.

Aug 5, 2023 9:33 PM in response to MBLap39

What view or album are you using when you want to change the order? Most of the system-supplied views of the library have specific defined orders. (For example, Imports is in order by date and time of importation.) If you want to define your own order, you can define your own albums and sort and reorder the photos as you like.

Apr 2, 2024 9:50 AM in response to léonie

That answer to me means that we really don’t have any real control or choice over any of our own photos! I can’t rearrange them, if I want to delete them in just one location I Can’t . That’s not what I call control of our photos!! In the iPhone or the iPad !! COME ON APPLE 🍏 GIVE US REAL CONTROL OF OUR OWN PHOTOS!!!

Apr 2, 2024 1:13 PM in response to jay7

You have al the control you want in any album you create yourself. Create as many albums as you want, group your albums with folders and subfolders, and use the albums created by Photos for you just as a staring point - sorted by the date the phot has been taken, the date, the photo has been imported, by he media kind, etc.

Rearranging photos in Apple photos Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.