Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MIDI FOLKS!! Midi being sent back to external instrument being played causing doubling/phasing

I'm using a cp88 keyboard (port 1 ch 1) sending midi over usb to logic. I want to record both the midi and the audio at the same time. But whenever I click on the midi track to record midi info I get phasing. I assume whats happening is the midi is going in and straight back out to double play the note.

This happens whether is a regular midi track or one using external instrument plugin

Is there a way to "mute" the midi outputs while recording. Turning off (power) the track doesn't fix it, nor does turning off the external midi plugin.

The only solution I have is to click on a seperate audio track which for some reason records the midi info?? another odd midi thing. Then drag it to the midi track so I can use it for playback.

If I switch to port 2 it fixes the phasing problem but then I lose playback??

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 16, 2020 3:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2020 4:09 PM

To eliminate MIDI-Feedback:

File > Project Settings > Midi > General > MIDI Thru > Instrument without Midi Thru Function > select your input keyboard

Bus as far as I understand you, you like to record Midi and Audio at the same time, so you still have to mute either the midi or the audio track in your mixer.

4 replies

Aug 16, 2020 4:38 PM in response to yoyoBen

Just what I spent the past 5 hours looking for, even looked in that menu a few times!! The terrible title thru me off...... hehe. Maybe they should call it. Disable midi thru for instruments (selection)

How has this not been answered before? I know not many work with external midi anymore. And many people might not even notice the phasing. But I went back and searched midi feedback and you're the first to answer correctly. kudos.

MIDI FOLKS!! Midi being sent back to external instrument being played causing doubling/phasing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.