Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV video not showing on screen, despite being connected properly to TV with HDMI cord.

Hoping someone can help me figure this out. I just bought an Apple TV 4K and am trying to set it up. Connected it to power, and tried two different HDMIs to connect to my TV, as well as both HDMI ports on my TV. Apple TV power light shows responsive, and it even responds when I click buttons. TV is on and working as well, and the Apple TV remote can even change the volume on my TV. All signs show they are connected, but the video is just not popping up for me to set it up. Not sure if is the TV or Apple TV that is not working correctly. My TV has worked well but it is older, it is a 2007 Panasonic. People were telling me it should be compatible with Apple TV though!

Posted on Aug 16, 2020 7:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2020 11:52 PM

A 2007 TV might not support the Apple TV 4K - the HDMI "handshaking" might not be compatible. Can you test it with a newer TV?

By way of example, I recently replaced an older Apple TV with a 4K and it wouldn't work with an old monitor with HDMI input that worked with the older Apple TV.

"Smart" devices can be frustrating!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 16, 2020 11:52 PM in response to bellajmarker

A 2007 TV might not support the Apple TV 4K - the HDMI "handshaking" might not be compatible. Can you test it with a newer TV?

By way of example, I recently replaced an older Apple TV with a 4K and it wouldn't work with an old monitor with HDMI input that worked with the older Apple TV.

"Smart" devices can be frustrating!

Apple TV video not showing on screen, despite being connected properly to TV with HDMI cord.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.