Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changing iCloud settings

In iCloud settings I need to delete the primary (non-apple) email address as the account is no longer active. The settings app will simply not allow me to delete it!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Aug 16, 2020 10:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2020 2:44 AM

The iCloud account and its mail address are still in process of deletion or erased permanently from server ( after 30 days ) , in that case contact apple support see the article https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208504

3 replies

Aug 17, 2020 12:04 AM in response to jeremy-w

In Mac system preferences >Apple ID icon - iCloud in name / phone / email section click on plus sign and enter new mail address and verify it , further delete the inactive Apple ID ( click on subtract sign ) .

These are screen shots using Mac OS Catalina 10.15.6 , your profile shows Mac OS 10.14 the settings will be slightly different , but the same concept is used .

Aug 17, 2020 2:25 AM in response to tygb

I already added a new email address, no problem with that. The problem is that it will not allow me to delete an old address that is listed as "primary". In other words, the address that Apple uses to send me receipts, notifications, etc. which I no longer receive because that email account has been terminated.

Changing iCloud settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.