Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Apple 24" LED Cinema Display with new mac mini 2020

I have purchesed a new Mac Mini and would like to continue using my old display (24" LED Cinema Dispay) as a second monitor. I've been using the monitor with my Macbook pro for years. I plan to purchase a new LG monitor to conect to the HDMI port.

The old monitor connects via Mini Display Port so I assume I will require a USB-C to Mini Display Port adaptor like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-USB-Mini-DisplayPort-Adapter-Black/dp/B077G5W12W

I've been reading some conflicting advice on message boards about the effectiveness of this.

I would appreciate very much if someone could advise.

Very best

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Aug 17, 2020 3:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2020 4:35 AM

It will work..

The conflict feedback was mainly users were confused "Thunderbolt display" -- which should use Thunderbolt 3 --> Thunderbolt 2 adapter.

In your case, you have "Cinema display" which will require "Mini display" output -- as you indicated from the adapter you indicated.

Mini display port and Thunderbolt 1/2 share the same shape but quite different.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 17, 2020 4:35 AM in response to vavan101

It will work..

The conflict feedback was mainly users were confused "Thunderbolt display" -- which should use Thunderbolt 3 --> Thunderbolt 2 adapter.

In your case, you have "Cinema display" which will require "Mini display" output -- as you indicated from the adapter you indicated.

Mini display port and Thunderbolt 1/2 share the same shape but quite different.

Using Apple 24" LED Cinema Display with new mac mini 2020

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.