Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have an old Cinema Monitor with Mini display connector going to an HDMI, and a LG Ultra Fine Monitor USB C going to a USB C on my Mac Mini M1. I can see one or the other if they are direct to USB C, but the one going to HDMI does not connect.

How do I connect a Apple Cinema Display from my old Mac Pro (2017) and my new LG Ultra Fine monitors to my Mac mini M1? I can see One or the other when connected to the USB C, but not both, even if I connect one monitor to the HDMI port. I have tried all combinations to no avail.

Posted on Jan 1, 2022 12:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2022 12:55 PM

Only one display will work on Thunderbolt by design. For two displays one needs to be connected to the HDMI port.

You need to make sure that the HDMI adapter specifically states that it adapts an HDMI source to a Mini DisplayPort display. If you have one specified the other direction or not specified at all, I don't believe it will work if I remember correctly.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 1, 2022 12:55 PM in response to Kpelli

Only one display will work on Thunderbolt by design. For two displays one needs to be connected to the HDMI port.

You need to make sure that the HDMI adapter specifically states that it adapts an HDMI source to a Mini DisplayPort display. If you have one specified the other direction or not specified at all, I don't believe it will work if I remember correctly.

I have an old Cinema Monitor with Mini display connector going to an HDMI, and a LG Ultra Fine Monitor USB C going to a USB C on my Mac Mini M1. I can see one or the other if they are direct to USB C, but the one going to HDMI does not connect.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.