Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem using TimeMachine to restore the full HD of a MacBook Pro (Early 2015) running Catalina

I am following the instructions to restore a recent TimeMachine backup correctly, I think. I have automatically backed up my HD using TimeMachine for years without difficulty but haven't needed to restore from TimeMachine before this. I enter TimeMachine, select "Macintosh HD" in the window that opens, then choose the particular backup date/time to be restored. But the "Restore" button remains dull and inactive. Only the "Cancel" button is bright and active. Am I doing something wrong?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 17, 2020 3:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2020 6:12 AM

I guess you meant to restore the full Macintosh HD. You cannot restore the HD while it is in use. Try these steps.

1. Connect your backup disk.
  2. Shut down the computer. Then restart it. Immediately press ⌘ (command) + R keys to start up in macOS Recovery.
  3. Release the keys when you see an Apple logo or spinning globe.
  4. Make sure you see macOS Utilities on the screen, then select Restore From Time Machine Backup. Click Continue.
  5. Keep clicking Continue until you're asked to select where to restore from, then select your disk.
  6. Select the backup from the list of recent backups of the disk, then click Continue.
  7. Select where will receive the backup (in this case Macintosh HD)
  8. After finished, restart your Mac.

Warning:
The backup will overwrite Macintosh HD, restoring both the OS and the files in the backup.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 17, 2020 6:12 AM in response to Hellard1861

I guess you meant to restore the full Macintosh HD. You cannot restore the HD while it is in use. Try these steps.

1. Connect your backup disk.
  2. Shut down the computer. Then restart it. Immediately press ⌘ (command) + R keys to start up in macOS Recovery.
  3. Release the keys when you see an Apple logo or spinning globe.
  4. Make sure you see macOS Utilities on the screen, then select Restore From Time Machine Backup. Click Continue.
  5. Keep clicking Continue until you're asked to select where to restore from, then select your disk.
  6. Select the backup from the list of recent backups of the disk, then click Continue.
  7. Select where will receive the backup (in this case Macintosh HD)
  8. After finished, restart your Mac.

Warning:
The backup will overwrite Macintosh HD, restoring both the OS and the files in the backup.

Problem using TimeMachine to restore the full HD of a MacBook Pro (Early 2015) running Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.