Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air overheats & freezes when on conference calls

Often, after using any "conference call" AKA meeting software - either Zoom or Google Meet - my MBA gets hot, the fan kicks in, and after a few minutes, the call will freeze - one by one, the other users freeze in their frames, til eventually I have to shut down the app (or close the browser window) and reset my wifi connection.

If there are other computers in the house on the same wifi, it does NOT happen to them - once, we were both in the same meeting, and nothing happened to the other computer, just mine.

This has happened at least 3 times, so it's not just a one-off. Any advice would be welcome. Thanks.

MacBook Air

Posted on Aug 17, 2020 8:00 AM

1 reply

Aug 18, 2020 6:07 AM in response to judahmaccabee

Hey there judahmaccabee,

We understand that your MacBook Air is getting hot and causing issues with conference calling software. We'd like to help.

To begin, we'd like to have you review this page: Keep your Mac notebook within acceptable operating temperatures

It explains what may cause additional heat with your Mac and steps you can take that may prevent it.

Another step you could take to help isolate the issue would be to create a new user account and test there. This would let us know if the issue is system-wide or just on the one user account. Reference these steps: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

Lastly, we can use Activity Monitor to check and see the CPU usage of those apps while they run. That may also help us understand what's causing this.

Check those steps out here: See how apps affect Mac performance, battery runtime, temperature, and fan activity

Let us know how that goes. Cheers!

MacBook Air overheats & freezes when on conference calls

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.