Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail stuck moving messages

I have recently started to have a problem with the Mail app on my MacBook Pro with Cataline 10.15.6. It constantly says it is Moving Messages on the bottom left of the app. If new emails come through I can see them, read them, apparently delete them but although they go, when I log into my mail by another means like my iPhone the messages haven't moved. Every message I read or try to delete increases the number of messages that are moving.

I have quit, force quit, restarted etc to no avail.

Any ideas?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 17, 2020 11:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2020 9:21 AM

Hey there DocJonnyB,

It sounds like when you delete messages on your Mac the Mail app constantly shows "Moving Messages" and does not actually go to the trash. This is reflected on your other devices as well. We'll be happy to help.

To begin, let's start by using the Connection Doctor as explained here: Use Connection Doctor in Mail on Mac

This may give us some insight into what's causing this.

Another step we can take is to remove and re-add the account. If you have a POP email account this should not be done as it may erase your emails. If you're unsure of the type of email account you have, reach out to your email service provider.

Reference these steps: Add or remove email accounts in Mail on Mac

If the issue still happens, our Mail app experts can look further into this with you. Reach out here: Get Support

We hope this helps. Cheers!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 18, 2020 9:21 AM in response to DocJonnyB

Hey there DocJonnyB,

It sounds like when you delete messages on your Mac the Mail app constantly shows "Moving Messages" and does not actually go to the trash. This is reflected on your other devices as well. We'll be happy to help.

To begin, let's start by using the Connection Doctor as explained here: Use Connection Doctor in Mail on Mac

This may give us some insight into what's causing this.

Another step we can take is to remove and re-add the account. If you have a POP email account this should not be done as it may erase your emails. If you're unsure of the type of email account you have, reach out to your email service provider.

Reference these steps: Add or remove email accounts in Mail on Mac

If the issue still happens, our Mail app experts can look further into this with you. Reach out here: Get Support

We hope this helps. Cheers!

Mail stuck moving messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.