Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing Startup Disk

My computer had been running slow and lagging, instead of reinstalling from a backup I wanted to erase all the data and start new. I erased my Macintosh HD drive through recovery as other instructions have mentioned, but now it won't recognize the StartUp disk on my computer. When the computer turns on its just a flashing folder with a question mark. It recognizes my WD Passport when I connect it and allowed me to download MacOS onto it through the online recovery. I don't understand why it won't recognize my internal hard drive. Please Help!!

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 10.14

Posted on Aug 17, 2020 6:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2020 4:52 PM

If your Mac has a Fusion Drive and you see a flashing question mark or alert, see the troubleshooting section of the Apple Support article About Fusion Drive, a storage option for some Mac computers.

If you continue to have problems with your disk or it can’t be repaired, it may be physically damaged and need to be replaced. For information about servicing your Mac, see Find out how to service or repair your Mac.

Or Terminal...

diskutil resetFusion

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 18, 2020 4:52 PM in response to yerenia

If your Mac has a Fusion Drive and you see a flashing question mark or alert, see the troubleshooting section of the Apple Support article About Fusion Drive, a storage option for some Mac computers.

If you continue to have problems with your disk or it can’t be repaired, it may be physically damaged and need to be replaced. For information about servicing your Mac, see Find out how to service or repair your Mac.

Or Terminal...

diskutil resetFusion

Aug 18, 2020 1:38 PM in response to BDAqua

It showed up under internal but wouldn’t let me run first aid on the APFS media even though I was in recovery. After the gallizionth time of rebooting, I unplugged from wall and restarted and the APFSmedia disappeared. The HDD said it was unformatted so I erased it again and it created a dropdown “untitled” and it’s letting me install it onto that. Do I need to do anything with that SSD component?

Missing Startup Disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.