Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cannot find my HD

Hello,

I'm trying to erase my MacBook and start it up fresh. I might have erased a bit too much... I do not seem to find my Macintosh HD when trying to set up the iOS. Is there anything I can do?

It gives me the option to install mac OS High Sierra.

But when it asks me to select the disk where to install the Mac OS the only option is my external time machine drive which is connected to the computer.

I cannot choose the drive because it says it is locked.

If I start the computer without the external drive connected there is a folder with a question mark blinking... and the suggestion to contact support.aplle.com/mac/startup

Posted on Feb 14, 2022 6:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2022 7:02 AM

Startup again in Recovery mode (command + R) or if that doesn't work try forcing Internet Recovery Mode with command + option + R. Once the startup process is complete & you see the OS X Utilities screen, choose Disk Utility.

Once that is running, select your internal hard drive from the list on the left (not the volume name indented below it). If you have chosen the drive (which typically has a name suggesting its capacity) you will see a "Partition" tab in the Disk Utility window. Click it. From the popup choices for "Partition Layout" choose 1 partition. Make sure the "Format" choice shown is "Mac OS X Extended (Journaled)." Click the Apply button & confirm that you want to repartition the drive.

Wait for the process to complete. If it does without displaying any errors, quit Disk Utility & now try selecting Install (or Reinstall) OS X from the OS X Utilities menu.

If you get any error while doing the above, report at what step it occurs & what the error is.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 14, 2022 7:02 AM in response to kimtornwall

Startup again in Recovery mode (command + R) or if that doesn't work try forcing Internet Recovery Mode with command + option + R. Once the startup process is complete & you see the OS X Utilities screen, choose Disk Utility.

Once that is running, select your internal hard drive from the list on the left (not the volume name indented below it). If you have chosen the drive (which typically has a name suggesting its capacity) you will see a "Partition" tab in the Disk Utility window. Click it. From the popup choices for "Partition Layout" choose 1 partition. Make sure the "Format" choice shown is "Mac OS X Extended (Journaled)." Click the Apply button & confirm that you want to repartition the drive.

Wait for the process to complete. If it does without displaying any errors, quit Disk Utility & now try selecting Install (or Reinstall) OS X from the OS X Utilities menu.

If you get any error while doing the above, report at what step it occurs & what the error is.

cannot find my HD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.