Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aftermarket SSD Overheating MacBook

I recently installed a SSD into my 2012 MacBook Pro and I just noticed that it may have issues with overheating (the temperature is often around 38 degrees celsius, mid-day after heavy use, according to some monitoring software that I have, and is hot to the touch). I know that the SSD is Mac-compatible. But I'm wondering: 1) is this a potential problem. 2) is there a way to install a fan or somehow dissipate the heat flow inside my computer?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 17, 2020 11:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2020 2:28 AM

MacBook Pro already has fan for heat dissipation and it is operated automatically.

Note: MacBook Pro has vents along the side and on the back. MacBook Air computers have vents along the back near the clutch. 

The surface your device rests on can block its vents, affecting fan behavior. If you use your device on a soft surface like a couch, pillow, bed, or your lap, its fans might run more. Using your device on a hard, flat surface like a table or desk is best for temperature control.

Please see below links for more information.

Keep your Mac notebook within acceptable operating temperatures - Apple Support

and

About fans and fan noise in your Apple product - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 18, 2020 2:28 AM in response to Sunshine_82

MacBook Pro already has fan for heat dissipation and it is operated automatically.

Note: MacBook Pro has vents along the side and on the back. MacBook Air computers have vents along the back near the clutch. 

The surface your device rests on can block its vents, affecting fan behavior. If you use your device on a soft surface like a couch, pillow, bed, or your lap, its fans might run more. Using your device on a hard, flat surface like a table or desk is best for temperature control.

Please see below links for more information.

Keep your Mac notebook within acceptable operating temperatures - Apple Support

and

About fans and fan noise in your Apple product - Apple Support

Aftermarket SSD Overheating MacBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.