Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't Move or rearrange individual pages

I have created 8 pages of a document in Pages. I want to move Page 2 to below page 8, but I can't because everything moves as a group. So are these individual pages considered "Sections"? I cannot "ungroup" them. Should be simple!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Aug 18, 2020 10:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2020 10:27 AM

The first page is a section unto itself. As your document flows to additional pages, they become member pages of the same section, unless you choose Insert menu : Section, or Section break. In a Page Layout style document, you can arrange pages by dragging thumbnails about. However, in a default word processing document, you cannot just rearrange individual pages in a section by dragging their thumbnails. Also, if you attempt to delete what you believe is one page, the whole section gets whacked, so beware of that.

Click on the current page 8 thumbnail, and at the end of that page, Insert : Page break. Click on your page 2 thumbnail, and copy/paste all content on that page into your temporary, new page 9. Back to the page 2 thumbnail, select all text on the page and backspace to remove, and your page 2 will disappear in the thumbnails. If it doesn't, select View menu : Show Invisibles, and see if there is a blue horizontal line across the top of that page, which you would then double-click to select, and then backspace to remove. No confusing this nonsense with simple.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 18, 2020 10:27 AM in response to Ahulani

The first page is a section unto itself. As your document flows to additional pages, they become member pages of the same section, unless you choose Insert menu : Section, or Section break. In a Page Layout style document, you can arrange pages by dragging thumbnails about. However, in a default word processing document, you cannot just rearrange individual pages in a section by dragging their thumbnails. Also, if you attempt to delete what you believe is one page, the whole section gets whacked, so beware of that.

Click on the current page 8 thumbnail, and at the end of that page, Insert : Page break. Click on your page 2 thumbnail, and copy/paste all content on that page into your temporary, new page 9. Back to the page 2 thumbnail, select all text on the page and backspace to remove, and your page 2 will disappear in the thumbnails. If it doesn't, select View menu : Show Invisibles, and see if there is a blue horizontal line across the top of that page, which you would then double-click to select, and then backspace to remove. No confusing this nonsense with simple.

Aug 18, 2020 1:56 PM in response to Ahulani

There is no autosave until you explicitly save a Pages document with a name other than Untitled?.pages to an Apple filesystem, including iCloud Drive. Afterward, even the smallest change will invoke an autosave within 10 - 15 seconds. The first thing I do when I create a new Pages document is to save it before any added content.

Are you using Spotlight to index your startup drive? If so, and if you have the System Preferences : Spotlight : Search Results : [√] Documents selected, then the following might find that Pages document using Spotlight from the menu bar:

kind:pages modified:>08/01/2020

This will find any Pages document modified since Aug 1 wherever it may exist on your Mac startup drive.

Can't Move or rearrange individual pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.