Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages app - Document section management

I have a pages document that has a title page then three sections with multiple pages per section. I don't recall how I created these sections but I now want to change how these sections are organized.

I found the section controls in the "Document" format section where I can choose how the headers/footers and page numbers are managed. I also found how I can move sections as a whole and re-order them in the thumbnails view at the left but for the life of me I can't find any way of removing a section break. I turned on the invisibles. I don't see any section breaks in the document.

What am I missing?

Posted on Nov 14, 2021 1:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2021 2:03 PM

Nevermind - I had tables on my pages that went all the way to the edges of the page margins. The section breaks were off the page hence not visible. Once I changed the extent of the tables, the section break symbol became invisible.

I think there should be some way to arrange the pages within sections in the thumbnail view. For instance, one should be able to select one of more thumbnails (can be discontinuous list via Cmd-click) and then move them to another section. This doesn't seem to be possible today.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 14, 2021 2:03 PM in response to Zaratzi

Nevermind - I had tables on my pages that went all the way to the edges of the page margins. The section breaks were off the page hence not visible. Once I changed the extent of the tables, the section break symbol became invisible.

I think there should be some way to arrange the pages within sections in the thumbnail view. For instance, one should be able to select one of more thumbnails (can be discontinuous list via Cmd-click) and then move them to another section. This doesn't seem to be possible today.

Nov 14, 2021 2:55 PM in response to Zaratzi

"This doesn't seem to be possible today."

Correct. "This is not possible today" The smallest unit that can be selected using the page thumbnails is the section containing the page clicked on. To move a single page, it is necessary to first isolate that page in a section of its own, with a section break at the end of the text on the page prior to the subject page and a second section break at the end of the text on the subject page. The new single page section can then be repositioned between two existing sections, before the first existing section or after the last existing section, then, if desired, joined with one or both of those adjacent sections by deleting the section break between it and the repositioned section.

Changing current behaviour of the software to a "should be" behaviour isn't something that can be accomplished in these user-to-user communities. Talk to Apple directly by making a Feature enhancement request via the Provide Pages Feedback menu item in the Pages menu.

Regards,

Barry

Pages app - Document section management

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.