Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Creating Sections in Pages

How do I break my Pages document into Sections? I cannot find the SECTION BREAK TAB the manual tells you to click. I see LINE BREAK and COLUMN BREAK only.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Oct 10, 2022 3:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2022 4:36 AM

Pages word processing documents have a Insert Section and Insert Section break menu items. Layout format documents do not have section breaks, as each page of this type of document is its own section. Just select Insert menu > Page and you have another "section."

4 replies

Oct 10, 2022 1:16 PM in response to jbloomrosen

So what good are the colors in the background in the thumbnail view? You can't link certain portions separately? I thought the Help Manual says you should be able to color code Sections?

Not sure where colors in the background come into this conversation but yes, you can colorize the entire section (page) in a page layout document, or just the background of a text box. The latter can be linked across individual sections.

And ultimately, would I be able to take a "section" from another earlier backed up version of a book I am working on, and replace it with the same "section" of the newest version that has become messed up formatting wise? This is a photo book by the way. Do you see my predicament? Copy and Paste doesn't seem to work for numerous pages, and then the images have to be re-inserted in the new version, right? There is no way to just take a "section" (ten pages) from one document and then insert it into another?

A word-processing document section may consist of one or multiple pages (you gave a ten-page section example) which may contain body text, text boxes, images, tables, and different text wrap settings. You cannot just copy/paste that into a page layout document in a sensible fashion.

As an example, I created a word-processing document with a section containing two pages. The first page was a mixture of body text, a text box, and an image, with just text on the second page. I selected everything, copied it, and pasted it into a blank, one-page layout format document. The text box and image came across in the same positions as in the word processing document, but all body text was jammed into a new text box, whose position and size was determined by Pages. So, no you cannot easily migrate content from a word-processing document into a page layout format document.

Oct 10, 2022 12:15 PM in response to VikingOSX

So what good are the colors in the background in the thumbnail view? You can't link certain portions separately? I thought the Help Manual says you should be able to color code Sections?

And ultimately, would I be able to take a "section" from another earlier backed up version of a book I am working on, and replace it with the same "section" of the newest version that has become messed up formatting wise? This is a photo book by the way. Do you see my predicament? Copy and Paste doesn't seem to work for numerous pages, and then the images have to be re-inserted in the new version, right? There is no way to just take a "section" (ten pages) from one document and then insert it into another?

Thanks in advaNCE.

Oct 10, 2022 1:31 PM in response to VikingOSX

Thank you for confirming what I’m trying to do, yet unable to complete easily, without actually manually recreating that “section” of my book. It’s such a shame, because those ten pages are already perfect in my backup copy, even though so much surrounding it has changed.

I guess I’ll have to spend some time recreating it. it’s not a tragedy, just such an unnecessary waste of time.

thanks 🙏

Creating Sections in Pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.