Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cannot see the full content of a column in pages

I have a document that has info in columns and I cannot see all the info. It blocks it off after a page is done. How can I change the formatting to see all the content and make it flow to another page instead of cutting it off?

MacBook Air (M1, 2020)

Posted on Mar 21, 2023 5:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 21, 2023 6:47 PM

Pages creates two types of document.

From your description, I suspect yours is a Page Layout document, as opposed to a Word Processing document.

The main differences between these two is that the Word Processing document has a "Document Body,"

The main text of a WP document is placed in the Document Body. When the text fills one page, Pages automatically creates a new page, and the text flows from the full page to the new page.

Page Layout documents do not have a Document Body. Any text placed in a PL document must be placed in a container–most often a Text Box.

Text in this type of document does not flow from page to page as it accumulates. It can be made to flow from one Text box to another Text box further down the document (and on the same page or another page), but the process does NOT create a new box to contain that text. That box must be added by the user, and linked to the previous box to allow text to flow from the first to the second, etc.

Each page of a PL document is also a separate Section of that document, meaning pages can be moved around by selecting and dragging their 'page thumbnails' in the left sidebar. Note though, that moving a page containing a text box linked to receive text from a box on a page further up the document may break that link.

Let us know if a review of your document shows this to be the cause of your issue.

Regards,

Barry

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 21, 2023 6:47 PM in response to sdepatie

Pages creates two types of document.

From your description, I suspect yours is a Page Layout document, as opposed to a Word Processing document.

The main differences between these two is that the Word Processing document has a "Document Body,"

The main text of a WP document is placed in the Document Body. When the text fills one page, Pages automatically creates a new page, and the text flows from the full page to the new page.

Page Layout documents do not have a Document Body. Any text placed in a PL document must be placed in a container–most often a Text Box.

Text in this type of document does not flow from page to page as it accumulates. It can be made to flow from one Text box to another Text box further down the document (and on the same page or another page), but the process does NOT create a new box to contain that text. That box must be added by the user, and linked to the previous box to allow text to flow from the first to the second, etc.

Each page of a PL document is also a separate Section of that document, meaning pages can be moved around by selecting and dragging their 'page thumbnails' in the left sidebar. Note though, that moving a page containing a text box linked to receive text from a box on a page further up the document may break that link.

Let us know if a review of your document shows this to be the cause of your issue.

Regards,

Barry

Mar 21, 2023 11:41 PM in response to sdepatie

Create a new Page Layout document using one of the newsletter or flyer templates. I've used the 'Today's News' template for the demo. screen shots are of the thumbnails in the left sidebar.

The main elements of Page 1 are the two boxes containing text. These can be re-shaped to become your two columns.

Other containers and items on Page 1 are the header and footer bars at top and bottom of the page. The left box in both contains "Lorum ipsum dolor; the right side boxes contain the date in the header and a page number in the footer. The header and footer bars are fixed parts of the page, but do not have to be used.

Today's News, and the line in 'latin' below that are in a third text box, which can be kept, resized and shaped to fit your needs, or san be deleted if you do not need that headline space.

The vertical line between the two main boxes and on the left and right edges of the text space are 'lines' placed by choosing a line 'shape' from the Shapes menu button, then rotating them to a vertical orientation, re-setting the weight to a very narrow width, and placing them in the positions shown.

As placed, they provide good guides to resetting the shape of the two vertical text boxes to match each other, then to place them on the page, centred between the centre line and the one on the left or right of the page, and with the tops and bottoms of the two boxes aligned.

Photos on the page are placeholders, and may be deleted if you do not need photo space or space for artwork, such as the pencil tips shown near the bottom of Page 1.

Once you have the opening page and subsequent pages templates set to your satisfaction, save the document 'as a template,' then use it as the base for your documents.

Regards,

Barry

Mar 22, 2023 11:08 PM in response to sdepatie

" The only option I got to change was the change it to a page layout and all my centring got erased."

To get past that issue, create a NEW Page Layout document. If you use the template I mentioned, I think it will produce a two page document. When you have the text boxes resized to make room for your text, you may want to Link some (or all) of the text boxes to allow text to flow from one to the next when a box is filled.

For instructions on linking text boxes, click on Help, then on Pages Help. On the title page for Pages Help, click Table of Contents, then Align and Space text, then Link Text boxes.

Note that you can have more than one set of linked text boxes.

Before transferring text and objects from your original document, Save the new one as a template. (This is a menu choice in the File menu.)

With your new document ready to accept content from the existing document, transfer the text and objects to the new one using Copy and Paste.

For the next issue, open a new document using the new template (it will be in the my templates' section, at the bottom of the Templates Chooser window).

Regards,

Barry

I cannot see the full content of a column in pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.