Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

message telling me to change id

why have i been contacted to change apple id?

iPhone 6s, iOS 13

Posted on Aug 18, 2020 3:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2020 4:05 PM

Sfbluecollar Said:

"message telling me to change id: [...]why have i been contacted to change apple id?"

-------

A. To Report a Message:

This message you speak of is no more than a scam. So, report this to Apple and the Government (if an option):

• To Apple:

Take a screenshot of that phone number/message and send it off to Apple.

Go Here: Take a Screenshot on your iPhone - Apple Support

Forward the screenshot to: reportphishing@apple.com

• To the U.S.A. Government:

(In the US. Only): Report Phishing Scam Calls at www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov

B. Learn More Here:

C. If you provided any Info:

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 18, 2020 4:05 PM in response to Sfbluecollar

Sfbluecollar Said:

"message telling me to change id: [...]why have i been contacted to change apple id?"

-------

A. To Report a Message:

This message you speak of is no more than a scam. So, report this to Apple and the Government (if an option):

• To Apple:

Take a screenshot of that phone number/message and send it off to Apple.

Go Here: Take a Screenshot on your iPhone - Apple Support

Forward the screenshot to: reportphishing@apple.com

• To the U.S.A. Government:

(In the US. Only): Report Phishing Scam Calls at www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov

B. Learn More Here:

C. If you provided any Info:

Aug 18, 2020 3:56 PM in response to Sfbluecollar

The email you received is a scam. Ignore/delete it. Don't input any data. If you didn’t enter data, you don't have a problem.

But, could you have given you Apple ID password to the scammer If yes, then:

Change your Apple ID password https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201355 

Here is What to do after you change your Apple ID or password https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204071

And, if you did anything that might result in you being charged inappropriately, then follow up with your credit card company, etc.

Last, see How to identify scams related to purported apple notifications—per Eric Root.

“Apple will always address you by your name or the name they have on file for you, not Dear Customer, Dear Client or by using your e-mail address. The e-mail will be from @apple.com or @iTunes.com. E-mail addresses can be spoofed. You can go to Mail/View/Message/Show all Headers to see more. Apple emails won't have poor grammar/misspellings. Apple e-mails will never contain an attachment. Apple will never request personal information by email such as Social Security numbers, your Mother’s maiden name or full credit card numbers. …The only exception to the above I have noticed is if you order something from the Apple Store (apple.com), your receipt will be addressed to Dear Apple Customer. That is a receipt for a purchase you initiated.”

message telling me to change id

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.