Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery not charging source power adapter

The issue persists after I updated my 2017 MBP Touch bar 4 Thunderbolt to Catalina 10.15.5. At times, the laptop does not charge despite being plugged in. It could detect the charger. So far I have tried

1) Turn off the battery health management function.

2) Reset the SMC, NVRAM, PRAM

3) Replaced the old charger and cable with a brand new set

4) Downgrade the OS to Mojave

5) Upgrade the OS to Catalina 10.15.6

6) Turn on the autoupdate and wait for some secret updates which suppose to cure the issue as suggested in some posts.

None of these things works.

This is definitely the worst experience I have had with Apple ever, even worse than the butterfly keyboard. I am EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED.

Please reply if you are suffering from the similar issue, and help to keep this post visable. Otherwise this issue may never be addressed.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Aug 19, 2020 5:44 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Aug 19, 2020 6:13 AM in response to stedman1

No, like I said, I don't believe it's battery health management function is at work First, I have turned the function off. Second, the issue appears randomly and is unpredictable. That is what is really annoying about it. It could happen any time 10% 34% 70%, 95% there is not a pattern. Sometimes, when I it occurs when the battery level is down to 20%. All I can do is disconnect/reconnect the cable, switching the charging port, and it doesn't guarantee that I can charge. Sometimes, I watch the laptop drains itself and shut down automatically.

Sep 2, 2020 2:51 PM in response to ihatova

Same exact issue on my 2016 MacBook Pro 13 inch, 4 Thunderbolt 3 Ports. Running Catalina 10.15.6 and I only found out about this problem when I unplugged by accident and it died immediately. I too reset SMC, NVRAM, and PRAM. No resolution. At 468 cycle count. And I'm in a country whose few Apple stores don't recognize warranties or recalls. Already dealing with these dumb butterfly keys and now this?

FIX THIS BAD ISSUE, APPLE! For what we pay for Macs, we should NOT have these frustrations.

Battery not charging source power adapter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.