Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am unable to open up photos on my Mac and I can't figure out how to fix it

Posted on Aug 19, 2020 9:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2020 10:59 AM

Can you tell us more about your Mac, Molly?

Which system version is installed on your Mac? Did you perhaps just upgrade to a new system version?

What happens, when you try to open Photos? Do you get an error message? If yes, what is the error message?

As a bow drawn at venture -

• if you just upgraded to a new system version and Photos does not open, you may be clicking an old alias in the Dock or on the Desktop. Try to launch Photos by clicking it directly in the Applications folder and do not use the old dock icon.

If that is not the problem, tell us please any error message you are seeing and where you are storing your Photos Library. Is it in the Pictures folder or on an external volume?

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 19, 2020 10:59 AM in response to Mollycarr

Can you tell us more about your Mac, Molly?

Which system version is installed on your Mac? Did you perhaps just upgrade to a new system version?

What happens, when you try to open Photos? Do you get an error message? If yes, what is the error message?

As a bow drawn at venture -

• if you just upgraded to a new system version and Photos does not open, you may be clicking an old alias in the Dock or on the Desktop. Try to launch Photos by clicking it directly in the Applications folder and do not use the old dock icon.

If that is not the problem, tell us please any error message you are seeing and where you are storing your Photos Library. Is it in the Pictures folder or on an external volume?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.