Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad and 1 Gig Internet speed.

I just upgraded to Verizon 1 Gig internet speed. I have Phillips lights, Vynue plugs, Ring and iphones and watches. My speed of my Laptop and Iphone increased 4 times from when I had 300mb. But my ipad, which is six years hold, did not increase in speed. It stayed the same for both 300 mb and 1 gig. The speed test result is 30/10. What I want to know is the slow speed because of the age of my ipad. Before I buy a new ipad, I just need to know my speed will be better.

Thanks

iPad Air, iOS 12

Posted on Aug 19, 2020 4:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 20, 2020 4:10 AM

The WiFi interface of your iPad is the limiting factor.

Whilst your internet bearer may be able to provide 1GB throughput (although headline figures are always difficult to attain - for technical reasons beyond the scope of this answer), the WiFi network and associated WiFi Client devices will be a limiting factor.

The WiFi radio within your iPad Air (as inferred from the tags appended to your question), if first generation, may achieve a peak “burst” throughput of 300Mb/s over an 802.11a/n connection - lower still if using 802.11b/n. Additionally, WiFi is a contended medium; as such, if other WiFi client devices are active on the same WiFi segment, your achievable sustained throughput will likely be somewhat lower.

I hope this technical explanation and clarification proves to be helpful.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 20, 2020 4:10 AM in response to 5oclocksomewhere

The WiFi interface of your iPad is the limiting factor.

Whilst your internet bearer may be able to provide 1GB throughput (although headline figures are always difficult to attain - for technical reasons beyond the scope of this answer), the WiFi network and associated WiFi Client devices will be a limiting factor.

The WiFi radio within your iPad Air (as inferred from the tags appended to your question), if first generation, may achieve a peak “burst” throughput of 300Mb/s over an 802.11a/n connection - lower still if using 802.11b/n. Additionally, WiFi is a contended medium; as such, if other WiFi client devices are active on the same WiFi segment, your achievable sustained throughput will likely be somewhat lower.

I hope this technical explanation and clarification proves to be helpful.

iPad and 1 Gig Internet speed.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.