Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Why iphones hot spot speed is so slow?

My iPhone gives 200mbps speed when tested with Speed test. At same time devices connected to same iphones hot spot only get about 20Mbps. Is there some technical or Apples made limitation or why is it so?

And no, I dont have no apps using bandwith background, and I already tested the speed with speedtest in phone and got the 200mbps with the same environment. I have booted my iphone and also put it to plane mode and back which clears dataconnections even more effectively than reboot of phone, to make sure it is workin properly. And i use wifi, not bluetooth connections. And I have not many devices using my hot spot during test. And my service provider gives me actual 200Mbp speed as Speedtest shows.

iPhone 11, iOS 16

Posted on Jun 12, 2023 11:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 12, 2023 11:52 PM

The Hotspot is a Carrier Specific feature. Contact your Carrier (Cellular Service Provider), the agency that issued the SIM / eSIM to you.

See the Pic below the Hotspot is made available based on the Mobile Data selected and the feature that is enabled by the Carrier

5 replies

Jun 13, 2023 12:13 AM in response to SravanKrA

If you're experiencing a significant difference in speed between your iPhone's speed test results and the devices connected to its hotspot, there are a few factors that could contribute to this:

1. Signal strength and distance: The speed of your hotspot connection can be affected by the distance between your iPhone and the connected devices, as well as any obstacles or interference in the environment. A weaker signal can result in reduced speed for connected devices.
  2. Hotspot capabilities: The hotspot functionality of your iPhone might have limitations in terms of the number of connected devices it can handle or the maximum bandwidth it can provide. Some devices may not be able to achieve the same speed as your iPhone's speed test due to these limitations.
  3. Bandwidth sharing: When multiple devices are connected to a hotspot, they share the available bandwidth. This means that if multiple devices are actively using data or streaming content simultaneously, the overall speed for each connected device may be lower.
  4. Network congestion: If you're in an area with high network congestion, such as in a crowded public space or during peak usage times, it can impact the speed of your hotspot connection. The available bandwidth may be shared among more users, leading to reduced speeds for each connected device.

While it's not necessarily an Apple-imposed limitation, it's important to note that hotspot performance can vary depending on the specific device and network conditions. Additionally, individual devices may have different Wi-Fi capabilities, which can impact the speed they can achieve when connected to a hotspot.

If you've already taken the steps you mentioned to ensure optimal conditions for testing, it's possible that the difference in speeds is due to one or more of the factors mentioned above. If you require consistently higher speeds for your connected devices, you might consider alternative methods such as a dedicated mobile hotspot device or a Wi-Fi router that supports tethering.

Jun 13, 2023 12:57 AM in response to jackaustin25

Than you for quick answer.

1. My devices are in same table during tests.
  2. There is only this one hot spot connection during test. And I tested multiple other devices, iPad, iPhone.
  3. There is only this one hot spot connection during test.
  4. I'm in summer cabins in archipelago in Finland. There is only birds, no people or wifi networks, beside my family. :)

But for some curious reason mobile network gives 200Mbps instead of more expected 0.002 :)

Why iphones hot spot speed is so slow?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.