Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I need a 64 bit version of my Adobe CS5.1

Upgrade to Catalina in my work computer has rendered this vital program package inoperable, and it is needed for my business. I am temporarily taking my work home and doing it on my MacMini running High Sierra as a temporary solution.

Posted on Aug 20, 2020 8:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 20, 2020 8:49 AM

You'll have to get Adobe upgrades from Adobe.

Or you could revert your OS to an older version. Revert your Mac to a previous macOS version - Apple Support

7 replies

Aug 20, 2020 8:52 AM in response to Glenn Radford

There is no 64-bit version of Adobe CS5.1 available, nor forthcoming from Adobe as the product has been abandoned for a decade. There is a 64-bit Adobe Photoshop Elements 2020 that might fit the bill, if you are opposed to Adobe subscriptions, or potential non-Adobe replacement products in the Mac App Store that are also 64-bit.

Aug 20, 2020 9:58 AM in response to VikingOSX

Thank you both for your timely replies!

I have tried Affinity illustration and photo products, which seem to be the closest I have found to Adobe, but can't get used to the function of these programs, the operation of which differ from Adobe, and certain functions (including the measurement tool) of Acrobat Pro are simply not available in alternate apps.

I may have to either re-install the 32 bit OS in my MacBook Pro, or "downgrade" to the Adobe subscription model.

If I had been aware of this incompatibility, I would have not installed Catalina. I will be much more careful in the future.

Aug 20, 2020 10:43 AM in response to Glenn Radford

There is no recent 32-bit version of macOS, as Apple has been shipping 64-bit operating systems for over a decade. It is whether the operating system still supports compatible 32-bit applications, and Mojave was the last release that would do that, though uncertain if it would be the right retreat to support CS5.1.

Affinity would have been submerged in Adobe lawsuits if they had attempted to make their products look and work just like an Adobe application. They offer replacement applications, that can take some Adobe plug-ins (e.g. Nik filters, etc.), and are a new learning curve, which some have left Adobe behind, and have created some very impressive artwork.

Aug 20, 2020 12:45 PM in response to VikingOSX

I didn't word that accurately; I know that pre-Catalina supported both 32 and 64 bit. That sentence should have read "32 bit capable".

I agree that Affinity can produce work of equal quality to the equivalent Adobe programs, but some of the functions have not been obvious, and the absence or unavailability of these features will require some research to determine if they do exist, and if they do, how to access them. Acrobat Pro is another matter; I've tried some PDF editor programs but have not been impressed with the results.

I don't like going backwards in OS versions, that will be my last resort.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.