Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

In Mail, Question mark enclosed in square replaces letters

How do you get rid of them?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Aug 20, 2020 1:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2020 2:12 PM

gdenkler,

Thanks for that updated information. Let's begin by validating all of your installed fonts using Font Book on your Mac. here are the steps to take, once you have Font Book open:

• Click All Fonts in the sidebar at left.
  • Click in the fonts list to its right.
  • Choose Edit > Select All (or press Command-A).
  • Choose File > Validate Fonts.

You can find these steps here as well: Install and validate fonts in Font Book on Mac

Take care.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 21, 2020 2:12 PM in response to gdenkler

gdenkler,

Thanks for that updated information. Let's begin by validating all of your installed fonts using Font Book on your Mac. here are the steps to take, once you have Font Book open:

• Click All Fonts in the sidebar at left.
  • Click in the fonts list to its right.
  • Choose Edit > Select All (or press Command-A).
  • Choose File > Validate Fonts.

You can find these steps here as well: Install and validate fonts in Font Book on Mac

Take care.

Aug 23, 2020 6:25 AM in response to gdenkler

I had the same issue when I updated to Catalina. Just came across another post that had the answer!!!! Yippee! I had another version of "Arial" font activated in Suitcase Fusion which was conflicting with the system version. I deactivated and removed my version from Suitcase Fusion and WA-LA! I can now view all my emails as they should be!!!

Aug 21, 2020 10:04 AM in response to gdenkler

Greetings gdenkler,

We understand that you are seeing some unexpected symbols in Mac Mail, and we'd like to help. Are these showing when you are composing and sending an email, or only when receiving them? Does this happen with more than one contact? Have you restarted your Mac or attempted any other troubleshooting on your own so far? The more detail you can provide, the better we will be able to assist.

Cheers.

In Mail, Question mark enclosed in square replaces letters

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.