Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using external webcam to record directly into iMovie

I have an external webcam to record my lessons as we teach during the remote learning time we have. iMovie will record using my external microphone, but I'm not able to see the webcam as an option.

Before ANYONE tells me to use Quicktime, the audio and video aren't syncing and I'm not about to split and realign every single video I use for teaching. That would take me hours every day.

How do I use the camera I bought for this?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Aug 20, 2020 6:17 PM

10 replies

Aug 21, 2020 1:55 AM in response to luv-2-teach

I don't wish to be the Prophet of Doom but I asked the same question in the Final Cut Pro X forum recently and the resounding answer was that it can't be done!

As iMovie and FCP X are very similar, it looks as though the answer may be the same for iMovie.

I would very much like to know if there is a simple method of using a webcam with either of the apps.

Incidentally I have just tried Rich's "AudioMIDI Setup" suggestion but it only works for audio.

Aug 21, 2020 9:27 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

Hi, Ian,

I don't have a webcam to test. However, I have not read anything to suggest that one can direct-record into iMovie from a webcam, unless possibly if your Mac does not have an internal Face Time camera. You can direct record into iMovie using the built in Face Time camera. Also, I have been able to use the iPhone to record footage into the Photos app on my iPhone through QuickTimePlayer by using QT's New Movie Recording feature. From there I can import the footage into iMovie using the import window. There were no audio sync problems. The OP wants to record directly into iMovie with a webcam, but you probably are right that that cannot be done.

-- Rich

Aug 21, 2020 11:10 AM in response to Rich839

I can't be certain but I seem to recollect that it was said FCP X (and presumably iMovie) needed a camera that generated timecode.

Certainly the FaceTime camera can be used but I find that the quality is extremely poor compared with even the cheapest Logitech 270 which I now use.

The OP didn't want to use QT because he had audio sync problems but I have found no evidence of this using my webcam.

Using external webcam to record directly into iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.