Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini 2020 and Thunderbolt / USB C to Display port and Dell displays will not wake up

Hi there

I have a Mac Mini 2020 and 2 Dell P2419H displays connected via USB C / Thunderbolt cable to display-port on the displays.

I'm actually running them into a dual display KVM with a PC on the other port.

When I switch back and for the Mac Mini displays will not wake up.

I can rip out the usb C plugs and put them back and the displays wake up

I've done a really clumsy workaround:

I made one of the Hot Corners 'Sleep Display' so when the displays go to sleep I can roll the mouse to the hot corner (in the dark) and eventually the displays wake up. This is not ideal as this is supposed to be a publicly useable computer terminal.

Any tips for making the displays wake up or not sleep?

(i know this issue exists on older posts but as this is a brand new mac i thought best to revive it)

Thanks

Posted on Aug 21, 2020 4:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2020 7:03 AM

Connect the 2 Dell's to the Mac Mini (no KVM, no PC) and test to see if the displays sleep/wake properly.

see > Connect multiple displays to your Mac mini (2018) - Apple Support

Connect one computer to the Dell's DisplayPort ports, one computer the the Dell's HDMI ports and test to see if the displays sleep/wake properly.

Similar questions

3 replies

Aug 21, 2020 8:35 AM in response to den.thed

Thank you I can do this - and I will try - but what exactly am I testing for?

I totally understand the concept of process of elimination - but the fact is, I need it to work with the current setup: usb-c > display port into the KVM - that is my only option.

This is because I need 2 displays - and a different KVM with the same spec but with HDMI does not exist.

thanks for helping me debug this

Aug 21, 2020 9:00 AM in response to vahakn1

Test to see it the Mac Mini wakes the displays properly using different setup configurations.

Why can't you just use 1 display for the Mac Mini and 1 display for the PC.

What about using 4 displays, 2 for Mac Mini and 2 for the PC.

You may never get that setup to work using a KVM switch, because the Mac Mini is losing the connection with the displays.

Mac Mini 2020 and Thunderbolt / USB C to Display port and Dell displays will not wake up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.