Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB c display not waking from sleep on new Mac mini

Hi,

I have recently moved from an ancient 2011 iMac to a new m1 Mini (16Gb, 1tB). I am having an issue with my usb c display not waking from sleep. If I unplug the usb c connection the monitor wakes, but the usb hub on the monitor does not (a pain as my keyboard/mouse are connected here). The monitor is also used with a Windows 10 laptop which has no issues, either over hdmi or usb c. The monitor is a Benq PD2704U 4k display, with a built-in KVM switch.

From what I have read this is a well reported issue, that I had hoped would be addressed by the 12.3.1 patch, but it appears it is not the case.

Can anyone adivse a solution? Would returning the monitorand replacing it with a Thundebolt monitor, a Benq PD2725U, help? That is is Thunderbolt betrer behaved? I am well aware of the bandwidth limitiations of usb c.

Thanks

Graeme

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Mac mini, macOS 12.3

Posted on May 1, 2022 4:45 AM

Similar questions

13 replies

May 1, 2022 9:01 AM in response to hcsitas

Apologies for the confusing response, you’re obviously in the right place.

+1 to @D.I. Johnson, adding

Disable Sleep, it’s unnecessary on later Macs, all pain, no gain. To disable, set your Energy Saver settings to as shown: 

Separately, avoid manual sleep, use screen lock instead or let the display switch off/auto-lock on timer. For long or overnight absences, shut.

May 5, 2022 4:07 PM in response to hcsitas

I think you are correct; the implementation of usb c on the mini just seems a bit strange. It struggles where pcs seem not to have any problems.

I have went with a hdmi + usb b connection for my mini and usb c for my windows laptop. Works with no issues, even with power save enabled. Keyboard is a wired apple keyboard and mouse a Logitech Triathlon mouse connected by dongle. The external puck control on the Benq and kvm switch makes the dual setup easy to use.

May 1, 2022 8:42 AM in response to GForce_n1

Very many others have reported similar issues with monitors refusing to wake fro sleep on the Mac mini.

A generally accepted workaround is to prevent the mini from sleeping. Apparently sleep is unnecessary for the M1 processor.

Visit System Preferences > Energy Saver and disable the option. Allow the screen to sleep, but disable the option for the computer itself.

May 1, 2022 9:06 AM in response to hcsitas

That's useful.

Are things different with a Thunderbolt connection; I could exchage the screen for the more expensive Thunderbolt model (PD2725U)? I am quite pleased with the monitor, it even has a mac colour profile.

I have tried changing the displayport setting from 1.4 to 1.1 after reading this might help. I will report back.

Graeme

May 2, 2022 3:05 PM in response to hcsitas

It seems that just when I thought things were solved, they're not!

On powering on the monitor will display the desktop but the keyboard and mouse do not function. Removing and reinserting the usb c cable activites both! No such issues with my windows 10 laptop, so it seems to be related to the m1.

A pain in the neck given that I hope to share the keyboard, mouse and monitor between the two systems! Could this be a fault or is it a 'feature' of the m1?

May 2, 2022 5:58 PM in response to GForce_n1

Direct USB-C to USB-C for monitor to Macs doesn’t work very well because monitors are clueless on what’s connected, a power-hungry laptop or power re-buffing desktop. I would connect the monitor’s USB C to the mini’s USB-A port using suitable C-A adapter/cable to enable hub functions. For video, connect HDMI-HDMI with a cable not longer than 5’, should fix.

USB c display not waking from sleep on new Mac mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.