Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2017 Macbook - Not able to connect to 4k monitor via USB C port

I'm trying to connect my 2017 MacBook to a Samsung M8 Monitor however the monitor is not able to detect the MacBook via the USB C port input.

Since I'm not sure if the issue is with the monitor or the MacBook, I did the following steps to make sure the monitor was functional.

• The USB C port on the M8 Monitor is able to detect and charge my dell latitude laptop and Samsung galaxy tab s7+ without any issues.
  • I tried using a different USB C cable but still can't connect to the MacBook. The other peripherals connect fine with the different USB C cable.
  • The MacBook is able to connect to the monitor via HDMI input. I used a USB C hub for the MacBook and connected the HDMI to the USB C hub. Ideally, I would prefer using the USB C cable for a cleaner setup.

I noticed a weird behavior when I power down the MacBook completely, connect the monitor's USB C cable and turn on the MacBook, the MacBook will charge but still not display on the monitor. However when I disconnect and reconnect the USB C cable while the MacBook is turned on, the MacBook does not charge or connect to the monitor.

I tired to reset the MacBook PRAM and SMC but it didn't help. The MacBook is currently running the latest Ventura OS.

MacBook

Posted on Nov 3, 2022 7:59 AM

Similar questions

6 replies

Dec 30, 2022 5:39 AM in response to zvlf

hello - I am trying to temporarily connect my 2017 Macbook air to the Samsung M8. Can you share with me your insights as you have worked through this? I intend to replace this setup with a Mac Mini... so I am either looking for an inexpensive approach - or - I am looking for an extensible approach that will help with MacMini-2-SamsungM8 in future.

thank you for any insights

Joe

Dec 31, 2022 12:14 PM in response to ajaw101083

thank you. I have a cabe and adapter arriving soon. we shall see if that works.

I bought the Samsung M8 with intent of using with a Mac Mini. and ten held off on the Mini, hoping Apple would update the product. Can you share with me the connection you used for your parents? Is it a simple USB-C connection at both ends? and which USB-C port does one use on the M8 for max speed? my eyes struggle seeing most anything on the back of that monitor. Thanks for any insights

2017 Macbook - Not able to connect to 4k monitor via USB C port

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.