Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Air (M1) cannot connect to external ASUS PA329cv monitor via usb-c

I recently bought an M1 Macbook Air (which I immediately update to macOS Monterey 12.0) to use with my Asus PA329cv monitor. The latter comes with usb-c input (in addition to hdmi and display port inputs) that I intend to use to de-clutter my desktop. I tried 3 different usb-c cables (the ones that came with the Macbook Air and the Asus monitor, and a thunderbolt 3 cable), but none of them work, not even with charging, let alone displaying input signals. I returned the monitor to ASUS for a check up, but was told that there was nothing wrong with the usb-c input; instead, it’s a software problem that will be fixed in a future firmware update for the monitor. I then noticed an update for the Monterey OS (12.1), and after installing it, the usb-c connection between the Macbook Air and the monitor started working like a charm. For a couple weeks, I thought the problem solved, until one day the connection was lost again (for both charging and signal input) without any hardware or software change I could think of. No change in cable, or further updating to OS Monterey 12.2, has worked so far. I expect switching to hdmi connection with an adaptor will allow me to use the monitor with the Macbook Air, but I am really hoping the usb-c connection would work. Any suggestion on why it is not working and how the problem can be resolved?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Feb 11, 2022 1:48 AM

Similar questions

2 replies

Feb 11, 2022 5:26 AM in response to wchanhk

One thing I could think of is maybe try a Thunderbolt4/USB4 cable such as these:

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/owc-thunderbolt-4-cables

FWIW, it seems to be that sometimes the USB-C-to USB-C connections to displays can be hit or miss. Some displays work 100%, some work kind of like yours. and some simply don't work. Also, it seems that not all USB-C to USB-C cables are created equal and often some mixing and matching may be necessary. In addition, displays from actual display manufacturers tend to have more success with Macs than those from PC centric vendors.

Macbook Air (M1) cannot connect to external ASUS PA329cv monitor via usb-c

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.