Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

photos crash

photos crashes every time I try and move a photo to an album. I have created a new photo library and the problem persists. Using Catalina 10.15.5 and most recent photos.

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Aug 21, 2020 4:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2020 5:19 AM

Where is the photo you are trying to add to an album? In "All Photos" or a shared album, or in "Imports"? It is not possible to move a photo to an album, you can only add to an album.

There has been a known bug, that photos would crash, if we tried to add photos from a shared album to a standard album, if one of the photos has already been imported to Photos, but I thought, that this bug has been fixed in Photos 5 on Catalina.

You may encounter unexpected glitches, if you upgraded to Catalina, but did not prepare the Photos Library for the migration by removing all image files and video files, that are in a format, that is no longer supported by the new system. Do you still have photos and videos in a legacy format in your Photos Library, as described here for iMovie? About legacy media in iMovie for macOS - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 21, 2020 5:19 AM in response to jonnie2020

Where is the photo you are trying to add to an album? In "All Photos" or a shared album, or in "Imports"? It is not possible to move a photo to an album, you can only add to an album.

There has been a known bug, that photos would crash, if we tried to add photos from a shared album to a standard album, if one of the photos has already been imported to Photos, but I thought, that this bug has been fixed in Photos 5 on Catalina.

You may encounter unexpected glitches, if you upgraded to Catalina, but did not prepare the Photos Library for the migration by removing all image files and video files, that are in a format, that is no longer supported by the new system. Do you still have photos and videos in a legacy format in your Photos Library, as described here for iMovie? About legacy media in iMovie for macOS - Apple Support

Aug 21, 2020 5:59 AM in response to jonnie2020

Are you using iCloud Photos? Then I would wait, until you are no longer seeing "Uploading" below the All Photos album. Wait, until Photos has finished to update the library after importing photos.

How are you trying to add to the album? Are you using the menu "Image > Add to <some album name>" or are you dragging the photos to an album in the sidebar? usually, dragging to the album in the sidebar is easier. You cannot drag to a folder, only to an album.

photos crash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.