Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dragging and dropping files to move them

This is my first post and just wanted to share this. I am not sure this affect everyone.

It was driving me crazy that I couldn't drag and drop files to move them in Finder with two fingers like I used to -- pressing on the trackpad with my thumb as I drag my index finger across the trackpad to move the files. I could still drag and drop files to copy them as long I was holding down the option key.

I found a solution:

I like the feeling of force click and haptic feedback, but with it off I can do it with two fingers again.

Or if I needed to keep the force click and haptic feedback option on, I realize that I now have to hold down the shift key while I move files by drag and drop method using two fingers on the trackpad.

So it is a design issue. Disappointing. But this fixes it.

Posted on Aug 21, 2020 4:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2020 4:54 AM

Enable Dragging in the Accessibility System Preferences, Pointer Control, Mouse & Trackpad, Trackpad Options.

I prefer it without Drag Lock enabled, but try both. There is also a three-finger drag option.

No idea why they bury that in Accessibility when it is so fundamental to using the Trackpad.

Similar questions

2 replies

Dragging and dropping files to move them

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.