Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Device Locked unlock iPhone to start using Apple Watch."

my series 5 watch wasn't used in 3 months and I got a new phone, but I can't reset my watch to connect to new phone. The following message comes up no matter what I do: Device Locked unlock iphone to start using watch.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Apple Watch

Posted on Aug 21, 2020 9:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2020 11:02 AM

Hi! Sounds like you need erase your locked watch and re-pair it with your new iPhone by following the below procedure and restoring the watch from a back-up:

1. Connecting your watch to the charging cable it came with and plugged in to a power source;
  2. Pressing & holding the side button until the "Power Off" slider appears
  3. Press pretty firmly on "Power Off" & the tap "Erase all content and settings."
  4. Re-pair your Series 5 using Watch App on your iPhone (and select Restore from Backup when offered the option).

You can find more information here about setting up your Apple Watch.

(When you unpair your Apple Watch from your iPhone, your iPhone automatically creates a backup of your Apple Watch.)

Good luck!

-- JDee

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 21, 2020 11:02 AM in response to Wagsems

Hi! Sounds like you need erase your locked watch and re-pair it with your new iPhone by following the below procedure and restoring the watch from a back-up:

1. Connecting your watch to the charging cable it came with and plugged in to a power source;
  2. Pressing & holding the side button until the "Power Off" slider appears
  3. Press pretty firmly on "Power Off" & the tap "Erase all content and settings."
  4. Re-pair your Series 5 using Watch App on your iPhone (and select Restore from Backup when offered the option).

You can find more information here about setting up your Apple Watch.

(When you unpair your Apple Watch from your iPhone, your iPhone automatically creates a backup of your Apple Watch.)

Good luck!

-- JDee

"Device Locked unlock iPhone to start using Apple Watch."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.