Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screenshot filename format changed recently (macOS Catalina, 10.15.6)

Until recently, screenshots were moved to my Dropbox/Screenshots folder and named "Screenshot CCYY-MM-DD HH.MM.SS.png" but now they're called "Screen Shot CCYY-MM-DD at HH.MM.DD.png" - is it possible to change the format back as they're no longer sorted correctly?

I fixed the time format thanks to this community post in the Dropbox forum but no mention of how to change the text parts - https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-files-folders/Screenshot-File-Naming-Format/m-p/446851

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 21, 2020 2:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2020 11:31 PM

My com.apple.screencapture.plist located in ~/Library/Preferences contains the following key that changes the Screen Shot text to Screenshot:

<key>name</key>
<string>Screenshot</string>

I don't know how to remove the at text.

6 replies

Aug 22, 2020 9:02 AM in response to VikingOSX

That's fantastic - thank you!

As for changing the time format, I don't know if macOS recently changed where it's pulling the time format from but changing the Medium Format config worked for me - https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/245771/change-date-time-format-in-the-screen-shot-filename

For now I have a little script to "sed" out the "at" from any filenames in my Screenshots dir :)

Sep 14, 2020 12:52 AM in response to pah57

I have the same question, and also a related one.

First, I certainly would want control over the date-time format. By default it should be taken from my system preferences setting.

Second, I use jpeg rather than png as png is a lot larger than jpeg. However, I seem no longer to be able to set the file name extension to "jpeg", it has become "jpg", thus leaving out the "experts" (as Microsoft used to do). We're beyond three-letter extension limits...

I want to set the format of the screenshot to jpeg, the file name to CCYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS and the file name extension to .jpeg.

Should not be a great problem.

Sigh.

Screenshot filename format changed recently (macOS Catalina, 10.15.6)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.