Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music Files Storage

I have downloaded some music files where the Mac auto stored in the downloads folder. As I wanted to store all music files in the music folder, I dragged the music files from the download folder into the music apps thinking that the files will now be stored in the home/ music folder. After that I deleted the music files that was in the download folder. After I done that the music cannot be played and prompted me to locate the file. Why is that so? Aren’t the files already in the music folder, why is it still trying to locate the files in the download folder? Is there any ways that the music can play from the music folder instead from the download folder as I don’t want the music files be stored all over the place.

MacBook

Posted on Aug 21, 2020 6:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2020 1:56 AM

Instead of dragging from the Finder, you should use the Music / File / Import function to add songs to your library. In Music / Preferences / Files, have it organized like this.

The Music Media folder will be inside your Users/ Home folder / Music. Files you import from the Downloads folder will be copied here.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 22, 2020 1:56 AM in response to JK_Sg

Instead of dragging from the Finder, you should use the Music / File / Import function to add songs to your library. In Music / Preferences / Files, have it organized like this.

The Music Media folder will be inside your Users/ Home folder / Music. Files you import from the Downloads folder will be copied here.

Music Files Storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.