Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Converted files (from Word to Pages) do not open from Finder

I have converted several Word (MS 365) files into Pages. When I click on any of those converted files (i.e. "Thursday Meeting) in Finder to open I get this flag:

"Word found unreadable content in Thursday Meeting.pages.

Do you want to recover the contents of this document?

If you trust the source of this document, click Yes."

If I click "Yes" I get this flag:

"Word experienced an error trying to open the file.

Try these suggestions.

* Check the file permissions for the document or drive.

* Make sure there is sufficient free memory and disk space.

* Open the file with the Text Recovery converter"

I know that I can open the converted files through Pages (Pages > Open) without any problem.

My question is this: Why can't I open the converted files directly from Finder? Or, why wouldn't Finder automatically open Pages, then open the Pages file that clicked?

Posted on Aug 22, 2020 5:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2020 6:25 AM

I think, this will help. Please try...

1. In a Finder window, navigate to the folder containing the converted "Thursday Meeting.pages" document
  2. Select the Thursday Meeting.pages file (Do not open by double tapping, simply select it - it should be highlighted)
  3. On your keyboard. Simultaneously press the two keys : Command and i . You should get a menu popup
  4. On the popup, navigate to Open With. Select Pages and Change All
  5. Click Continue

I think this should do it!

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 22, 2020 6:25 AM in response to Louisofm

I think, this will help. Please try...

1. In a Finder window, navigate to the folder containing the converted "Thursday Meeting.pages" document
  2. Select the Thursday Meeting.pages file (Do not open by double tapping, simply select it - it should be highlighted)
  3. On your keyboard. Simultaneously press the two keys : Command and i . You should get a menu popup
  4. On the popup, navigate to Open With. Select Pages and Change All
  5. Click Continue

I think this should do it!

Converted files (from Word to Pages) do not open from Finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.