Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trouble Restoring Deleted Messages from iCloud Backup

Hi,

I accidentally deleted a whole thread of text messages on Wednesday, that same night I also accidentally restored from a backup that was a few years old - although that backup somehow synced some things to my phone from before I restored it (but not any of my settings, texts, etc. ) SO, I found out that I had a backup from Tuesday (before I deleted the texts on Wednesday) and I restored from that iCloud backup. I have been able to restore my phone to how it was on Tuesday, but the deleted texts are still not being shown or downloaded. It is my understanding that, even though I deleted the texts from my phone on Wednesday, the backup from Tuesday should have restored the texts that got deleted since it was a backup from before that happened. Any help or advice is appreciated!

-Ava

iPhone XS, iOS 13

Posted on Aug 22, 2020 10:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2020 4:34 PM

If you were using messages in iCloud - Keep all your messages in iCloud - Apple Support and deleted those messages then they are permanently gone. If you weren't using that feature, then you could restore from a backup. From your post, I would assume you were using the feature as the messages didn't restore from a backup.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 22, 2020 4:34 PM in response to avamarie

If you were using messages in iCloud - Keep all your messages in iCloud - Apple Support and deleted those messages then they are permanently gone. If you weren't using that feature, then you could restore from a backup. From your post, I would assume you were using the feature as the messages didn't restore from a backup.

Trouble Restoring Deleted Messages from iCloud Backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.