Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What do I need to do to download but NOT install Catalina?

I am using Mojave on an iMac. I plan to skip Catalina and wait a year until I will install the version that will come out this fall. I do not need any new features, capabilities and not being a technical user I am concerned about the new bugs coming with a new OS, issues with 3rd party apps, etc.

However, just to be on the safe side, I would like to save Catalina without installing it, before Apple removes it from the store.

How can I download Catalina and not install it? Does it stop before the installation? if not, how do I prevent the installation?

Thanks.

Posted on Aug 22, 2020 12:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2020 12:13 PM

Download Catalina. Upon completion it will start automatically with a button to click for installation. Just Quit the installer by pressing Command-Q. Look for the installer in your Applications folder. Make a copy in your Downloads folder for safe-keeping.

Similar questions

13 replies

Sep 2, 2020 2:42 PM in response to Suzy2014

All the installers below are available for download.

Open the Safari app, Firefox does not work and click on each of these links

and go to Section 4 in each case.

How to upgrade to macOS Catalina – Apple Support

How to upgrade to macOS Mojave - Apple Support

How to upgrade to macOS High Sierra - Apple Support

How to upgrade to macOS Sierra - Apple Support

How to upgrade to OS X El Capitan – Apple Support

How to upgrade to OS X Yosemite – Apple Support

Catalina, Mojave and High Sierra download their respective Install macOS ******.app

to your Applications folder.

Sierra, El Capitan and Yosemite download a Install*****.dmg to your downloads folder

which you then in turn use to create an install app, read the instructions. 

Sep 2, 2020 11:42 AM in response to Suzy2014

Just as an FYI, there was NO button to stop the install. Since I have learned not to trust Apple, I was watching the download with my fingers on Command-Q and when it displayed "starting the installation" I quickly stopped it. I appreciate you letting me know how to stop it. I saved the install app in a different folder. Hopefully nothing will continue or start automatically. I am suspicious because software vendors are trying to force you to install their latest releases even if you don't care for them. Apple kept displaying a notification EVERY DAY to install Catalina ever since it was released and did not give me a choice for not displaying the notification. The best I had is "remind me tomorrow"....

Sep 2, 2020 12:04 PM in response to babowa

Thanks. The very annoying notifications were displayed for almost 1 year, before I ever downloaded (today) the install app for Catalina.

I am not sure if I understand your comment correctly: does moving the just downloaded install app for Catalina out of the Applications folder stop the notifications and prevent any potential attempt to do the install against my will?

I could not care less for all the new look and feel "improvements" and bugs released with new OS versions. What I care for is functionality, reliability, security, no bugs and ease of use (no guessing, no constantly and aimlessly moved functions, symbols/icons with no text). Mojave removed from Safari the previously available option to prevent identified websites from storing cookies. So instead of getting something useful, Apple removed without any notification, something that was half way useful (the way it was implemented). Now one can only accept all cookies or none, unless I switch to a different browser.

Sep 2, 2020 1:13 PM in response to Suzy2014

The background process checking your drive for updates checks everywhere, the Applications folder is best 9as that is where it looks first for apps, but you try moving it to your User folder and see if the nags stop. Mine is in the Applications folder. And, it should not simply launch and install itself once you quit the attempt and just park it somewhere. That would be a major glitch.

Aside from that, it is good to have the installer of any OS release saved; since Apple withdraws OS versions available soon after a new version is introduced, it becomes difficult to get an older version back. I have installers squirreled away on an external backup drive for every OS since Lion (!!!).

Sep 2, 2020 1:28 PM in response to babowa

Thanks. After Apple started removing the OS installs shortly after a new version is released, I am doing the same, just downloading and saving them in case I would care for them. Just a few years ago the Apple store had older versions. Now, unless one saves them, Apple forces users to use the latest one. I did downloads before but I was concerned (rightfully so) that now Apple will just jump to doing the install after the download without asking me first. Very disconcerting.

Sep 2, 2020 2:00 PM in response to Suzy2014

I imagine Apple will keep Catalina available for download after the release of Big Sur.

You can still download Yosemite, El Capitan, Sierra, High Sierra and Mojave for free,

and you can still purchase Lion and Mountain Lion.

If you are going to jump from Mojave to Big Sur when it arrives, be prepared

for a whole new look for your mac. Apple are moving away from macOS 10.*.*

to macOS 11 and a whole new design, more like the look of iPads.

So seeing as you don't like change.........................................................................................

Sep 2, 2020 2:08 PM in response to Suzy2014

Just as an FYI, there was NO button to stop the install.

And Kappy said nothing about there being a button the stop the install. He said:

a button to click for installation.

To start the install. If you don't want the install to start, you press Command+Q to quit. Which is what he did say. The installer will just sit there forever after displaying the initial splash screen until you say go or quit.

Sep 2, 2020 2:33 PM in response to Kurt Lang

I stopped the install. Not to belabor the topic: there was no button for anything, only a message that installation started. However, Command+Q worked. Last time I looked I could not find in the Apple store any older versions of the OS. Maybe I looked in the wrong place. No, I don't like useless change for the sake of change (or just for changing the look and feel and moving everything around). But others might care for that. Thanks.

Sep 2, 2020 3:04 PM in response to Eau Rouge

Yes, Kurt. I was watching the download to finish when the install just started on its own displaying the message that is doing the install.... I was not day dreaming and there was question, button, etc. to allow me to do anything (other than COMMAND +Q) . That's exactly what I experienced. Maybe it's a new "feature" :):).

Thanks Eau Rouge. When I previously wanted to just save older versions of the OS and could not find them, Apple support told me that they are no longer available... Glad to know that one can still find them.

What do I need to do to download but NOT install Catalina?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.