Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I download Catalina installer to Macbook Pro after erase?

I had Catalina loaded on my MacBook Pro 2012 13" Because I just sold it, I did a complete erasure. In attempting to reload an OS following the suggested operation, it keeps defaulting to a Mountain Lion Install. Complicating the issue is that the loading of Mountain Lion stalls at the very end of the loading.

In honoring the sale, I really want to have Catalina on the laptop.

Any suggestions on how to load Catalina is appreciated.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Mar 6, 2022 5:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2022 6:20 AM

Command + Option + r immediately at Restart. This is Internal Recovery Mode and will require an Active And Functioning Internet Connection/

Best results is Ethernet Cable to Router.

Spinning Globe will load from Apple Servers.

It should offer the latest version this computer Qualifies to run.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 6, 2022 6:20 AM in response to bbbjim

Command + Option + r immediately at Restart. This is Internal Recovery Mode and will require an Active And Functioning Internet Connection/

Best results is Ethernet Cable to Router.

Spinning Globe will load from Apple Servers.

It should offer the latest version this computer Qualifies to run.

Mar 6, 2022 9:04 AM in response to PRP_53

Thanks for the response! However, the problem is that it does not offer the LATEST version when doing the Reinstall from Disk Utilities. It only gives Mountain Lion which was its original OS. There doesn't seem to be any place for an option. Before doing the complete data erase, Catalina was installed. I have now been able to reload Mountain Lion, finally. My further question is, is there a way to upgrade to Catalina now that Mountain Lion is loaded that does not require me to submit any personal info since I am selling the computer?

Mar 6, 2022 9:26 AM in response to bbbjim

If the Internet Recovery Mode did not work - something must have gone wrong.

As for additional question about upgrading from Mountain Lion - this will require Personal Information to be input and an Apple Account Associated with this computer. That is not what you want but that is the only way I know to upgrade from M Lion.

Mar 6, 2022 9:31 AM in response to PRP_53

Just to be clear, at this point the Recovery Mode did work but defaulting to the original OS Mountain Lion not to Catalina and yet Catalina was the latest OS that was on the MBP before data erasure.

Thanks for the info re Upgrade. I was afraid of that. SO I guess at this point I need to let the buyer know they will be buying with Mountain Lion on it and they will need to upgrade to Catalina on their own.

Thanks again!

How do I download Catalina installer to Macbook Pro after erase?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.