Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Mac Pro 10.5 was running well but my mouse kept disappearing until I downloaded premiere and the mouse disappeared so I restarted the cpu and to my surprise folder with a question mark

i was on my computer downloading software for videos and music editing. I had a little mouse issue where the cursor kept disappearing. So I decided to restart the cpu and when I started it back up there was a blinking folder with a question mark I tried to access boot menu it won’t let me do anything. I just want my computer fixed I drove 2hrs away to a place that denied to work on my system. Saying it’s out of date. Please help me fix this issue I think it’s a corrupted hard drive but I don’t want to get rid of the items on the hard drive

Posted on Aug 22, 2020 8:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2020 11:08 AM

If your Mac really is running MacOS as old as 10.5, it is very surprising that you can download anything form anywhere. The httpS: in versions before 10.9 is completely obsolete.

That said, the tools you need to repair the disk for 10.5 are on the Installler/Utilities DVD:

Boot to the Installer DVD, but do not start to install.

Instead, answer only the "What Language" question and wait a quarter minute for the MenuBar to be drawn.

Choose Disk Utility off the Utilities menu.

when Disk Utility opens, elect your drive and "repair disk".

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 23, 2020 11:08 AM in response to Tremaine91

If your Mac really is running MacOS as old as 10.5, it is very surprising that you can download anything form anywhere. The httpS: in versions before 10.9 is completely obsolete.

That said, the tools you need to repair the disk for 10.5 are on the Installler/Utilities DVD:

Boot to the Installer DVD, but do not start to install.

Instead, answer only the "What Language" question and wait a quarter minute for the MenuBar to be drawn.

Choose Disk Utility off the Utilities menu.

when Disk Utility opens, elect your drive and "repair disk".

Aug 22, 2020 10:05 PM in response to Tremaine91

Tremaine91 Said:

"My Mac Pro 10.5 was running well but my mouse kept disappearing until I downloaded premiere and the mouse disappeared so I restarted the cpu and to my surprise folder with a question mark: os it’s the version I don’t have a MacBook it’s the tower"

-------

Please Confirm the Version Number:

Verify which version it is:

1. Go To: Apple Menu
  2. Select: About this Mac
  3. See: what Version is Installed: (First Line-Down).
  4. What do you see for the version number?

Aug 23, 2020 12:00 AM in response to Tremaine91

Tremaine91 Said:

"I can’t get into the cpu at all it is only giving me the folder with the question mark. It’s a version 10.5 tho Mac pro that’s all I know"

-------

To Find Out - Try Terminal:

1. Boot: Into Recovery Mode [Hold Down: command + R upon boot]
  2. Sign In: (If Required)
  3. Go To: Utilities menu atop the screen
  4. Select: Terminal
  5. Type: this Terminal command, then press enter:
system_profiler SPSoftwareDataType

It would be the second line-down that reads:

System Version:

Screenshot: Find Out your macOS Version from the Terminal - DIGITAL CITIZEN

My Mac Pro 10.5 was running well but my mouse kept disappearing until I downloaded premiere and the mouse disappeared so I restarted the cpu and to my surprise folder with a question mark

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.