Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

mac stuck on folder blinking

my mac just randomly started to randomly not turn on, i powered it on and it started flashing a folder with a question mark. it says the disk is fine, but when i try to reinstall macOS X maverick it says there’s no disk found. help me please. i use my computer for college!!

MacBook Pro 13″

Posted on Sep 11, 2023 5:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 11, 2023 5:34 PM

"mac stuck on folder blinking: my mac just randomly started to randomly not turn on, i powered it on and it started flashing a folder with a question mark. it says the disk is fine, but when i try to reinstall macOS X maverick it says there’s no disk found. help me please. i use my computer for college!!"

-------

Thank you for the photo.

Getting the Hard Drive to be Found:

Mount the Drive:

Boot into Recovery Mode. (Silicon Chip or Intel Clip): Then, using Disk Utility, see if the Hard Drive is seen. If it is, then see if you need to click the “Mount’ button for it. Try rebooting once more. If of no success, then click unmount button, and then the mount button. Try rebooting once more.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 11, 2023 5:34 PM in response to destynitierra

"mac stuck on folder blinking: my mac just randomly started to randomly not turn on, i powered it on and it started flashing a folder with a question mark. it says the disk is fine, but when i try to reinstall macOS X maverick it says there’s no disk found. help me please. i use my computer for college!!"

-------

Thank you for the photo.

Getting the Hard Drive to be Found:

Mount the Drive:

Boot into Recovery Mode. (Silicon Chip or Intel Clip): Then, using Disk Utility, see if the Hard Drive is seen. If it is, then see if you need to click the “Mount’ button for it. Try rebooting once more. If of no success, then click unmount button, and then the mount button. Try rebooting once more.

Sep 14, 2023 5:33 PM in response to destynitierra

trung_ Said:

"mac stuck on folder blinking: so i should erase it?

———-

Erasing the Drive:

You essentially have nothing in your drive but an unneeded volume. So, select thos drive you want to install the macOS on, and then format it accordingly. From there, proceed with the install.

Perform as follows….

Determining which Update(s) will Install:

I. Verify Compatibility:

A. Start Here: Learn About Compatibility and how to Identify your Specific Mac Model - Apple Support

B. How to Verify:

Reveal your Model:

What is the Model of your Mac? To find out...

1. Go to: Apple menu
  2. Click: About this Mac
  3. View: Second Line-Down

then...

II. Compare the Results:

See if the Model you found is shown here:

III. If Compatible:

Back Up your Mac First:  Be certain you Create a Time Machine Backup of your Mac, so that way you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the reconfiguration.

Sep 14, 2023 1:52 PM in response to destynitierra

trung_ Said:

"mac stuck on folder blinking: when i pull it up it’s not giving me the option to mount it. it’s just blacked out"

-------

Thank you for the photo.

Click: disk0

That is the drive. Right now, you have selected a volume, which cannot be mounted —it can be erased (as long as it is mounted, any your have to permission do so.

Screenshot:

Sep 13, 2023 6:32 PM in response to destynitierra

"mac stuck on folder blinking: when i pull it up it’s not giving me the option to mount it. it’s just blacked out"

-------

Thank you for the photo.

Click First Aid;

Looking at the photo you've provided, It already is mounted. Thing is, you cant unmount it (being that it is dulled out). So, click First Aid, reply back a photo of the results.

mac stuck on folder blinking

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.