Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Air 3 white spot/dot problem above home button

Hello, just wondered if this is a widespread problem for iPad Air 3 2019 please could you say whether you have an issue of white spot/area about 2 inches or 50 cm or so above the home button (but probably might appear in random places on this device, please check you may have not noticed it before, needs to be a white background to see it usually, but starts to get more noticeable on all backgrounds) but needs bringing to your attention before the warranty runs out because mine seems to be getting worse and brighter. My iPad is over a year old so the warranty has ran out, not impressed.

I have lost faith in Apple products.

Posted on Aug 23, 2020 4:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2020 5:39 AM

The phenomena that you describe is not uncommon with the iPad Air3 and the iPad Pro 10.5” - upon which the Air3 is based.

This complaint, in context of bright spots appearing on the iPad screen, appears here with some regularity. This is not to say that the problem is common, merely that the complaint appears to be common to the iPad Air3 and Pro 10.5 models.

Of complaints that have appeared within this community forum, the issue seems to focus upon bright patches (of varying intensity between affected devices) typically occurring in a region 1-2” above the Home button (as viewed with the iPad in the “Portrait” orientation - with the Home button at the bottom of the screen).

The bright patches appearing on the iPad screen, where apparent, directly correlate to an area of the underlying logic board that incorporates the electrical connectors for the display - and the touchscreen controller. As such, as many other iPad models have a different internal layout, this is perhaps why we don’t see this observation occurring in other models.

Anecdotal comments (from reports appearing within this Support Community) suggest that when “inspected” by technicians, displays exhibiting this phenomena are generally considered to be fault-free - until such time as an inspection relates to a possible trade-in, at which point an affected screen has reportedly been described as having been damaged or defective, significantly reducing or eliminating any residual trade-in value.

The potential issue and its cause have never been publicly acknowledged by Apple.

I hope this is in some way helpful to you - if only in confirming what is known about this issue.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 23, 2020 5:39 AM in response to Christoman

The phenomena that you describe is not uncommon with the iPad Air3 and the iPad Pro 10.5” - upon which the Air3 is based.

This complaint, in context of bright spots appearing on the iPad screen, appears here with some regularity. This is not to say that the problem is common, merely that the complaint appears to be common to the iPad Air3 and Pro 10.5 models.

Of complaints that have appeared within this community forum, the issue seems to focus upon bright patches (of varying intensity between affected devices) typically occurring in a region 1-2” above the Home button (as viewed with the iPad in the “Portrait” orientation - with the Home button at the bottom of the screen).

The bright patches appearing on the iPad screen, where apparent, directly correlate to an area of the underlying logic board that incorporates the electrical connectors for the display - and the touchscreen controller. As such, as many other iPad models have a different internal layout, this is perhaps why we don’t see this observation occurring in other models.

Anecdotal comments (from reports appearing within this Support Community) suggest that when “inspected” by technicians, displays exhibiting this phenomena are generally considered to be fault-free - until such time as an inspection relates to a possible trade-in, at which point an affected screen has reportedly been described as having been damaged or defective, significantly reducing or eliminating any residual trade-in value.

The potential issue and its cause have never been publicly acknowledged by Apple.

I hope this is in some way helpful to you - if only in confirming what is known about this issue.

Aug 23, 2020 7:23 AM in response to LotusPilot

Thank you, that is a very clear and concise reply and describes the issues perfectly.

Interesting what you said about the problem being considered ‘fault free’ until the point of trade in, are you talking about an Apple trade in ?

With all the enhancements to screen display quality high end product is meant to have which I consider the iPad Air to be, it is wholly unacceptable. What’s more the iPad Pro version has this issue also which is their flagship product, I’ve seen many reports of this across many groups and platforms.

iPad Air 3 white spot/dot problem above home button

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.