Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

external hard drive not showing up on desktop

Hi! So I just plugged in a new, blank 4t Seagate external hard drive, and it hasn't shown up on my desktop. The light on the hard drive is showing up to show it's connected. My MacBook is 2019 and on macOS Catalina version 10.15.4. When I go into disk utility the external hard drive is faded and when I try to mount it a popup says "Could not mount “disk2s2”. (com.apple.DiskManagement.disenter error -119930868.)". When I try to click first aid it says "First Aid process has failed. If possible back up the data on this volume. Click Done to continue." Pls help

Posted on Aug 23, 2020 5:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2020 10:14 AM

Does the device show:

• in Disk Utility?
  • In "About this Mac..." > "Storage" tab?
  • In a window sidebar:

In that image, "Time Machine 2T" is an external hard drive,

As shipped, the Mac OS is not set to show any devices on the Desktop other than the hard drive. You change that through Finder Preferences:

Change Finder preferences on Mac - Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 27, 2020 10:14 AM in response to lulubannard1

Does the device show:

• in Disk Utility?
  • In "About this Mac..." > "Storage" tab?
  • In a window sidebar:

In that image, "Time Machine 2T" is an external hard drive,

As shipped, the Mac OS is not set to show any devices on the Desktop other than the hard drive. You change that through Finder Preferences:

Change Finder preferences on Mac - Apple Support

Sep 2, 2020 9:17 AM in response to Boating Dave

Just to close out this thread. What worked for me was reformatting the drive in exfat on the Mac. For some reason it would not accept the pc formatting. I think it was because the standard pc block sizing is not accepted on the Mac. Not sure what block size is accepted, but simply allowing the Mac to reformat the drive in exfat did the trick. Luckily this was a new drive so I didn’t need to save anything but make sure to back up the drive before you reformat it if you have anything you need to keep!

external hard drive not showing up on desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.